2004 Speed Triple 955i - Spitting/spurting Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David H., Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys,

Just realized I posted the original thread in the wrong forum, so here's it posted in the proper place.

I'm getting a spitting/spurting/compressed air blast sound when I'm at idle. I first noticed it after I accidentally yanked off one of the hoses from the EVAP system that hooked up to the IAC port. It would spurt and I'd see a little cloud come out of the port. I'm not sure why, since air is supposed to go in, not out. The rubber connector was broken, so it continued to spurt after that.

Anyway, here's the flow of the various things I've done since I noticed the noise. Please note that the noise started before any of this, and I don't know that some of this has anything to do with the problem. I'm just including it for completeness of information:

1. Noticed spitting sound, discovered it was from one of three ports on the back of the cylinder head (which I eventually learned are the Idle Air Control ports)
    2. Removed Secondary Air Injection and closed off the ports and airbox.
    3. Removed California EVAP system. The rubber connectors were all cracked and worn, so I ended up trying just rubber vacuum hose and fuel line to connect the IAC ports on the head to the ports on the IAC valve under the airbox. This always resulted in unsteady and low RPM.
    4. I eventually removed all the hoses and went back to the corrugated plastic hoses that came with the bike, forcing on good rubber connectors. Idles great now, but the spitting is a lot worse again.

Has anyone encountered this spitting noise and knows what causes it? The bike seems to run fine now for the most part, except the engine seems to "miss" when the spurt happens. It's just really annoying and loud, and makes my bike sound like it's about to fall apart.

2. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    Hmm, that's a strange one.

Couple of Q's to try narrow things down:
    - As I'm unfamiliar with the 955i, is it carb'd or EFI (There are reasons to ask)?
    - Has there been a noticeable drop in power or throttle response since the noise started?
    - Does the engine sound 'normal' or is it sounding a bit rough/idling poorly?
    - Is there any other signs (smoke/poor fuel economy/other noises)?
    - Any fluid patches being left underneath when parked up?
    - When does the noise occur (When cold/hot, on power, idle, etc)?
    - Any accessories fitted (Sports exhaust, bigger jets, free-flow intake, tuning map (If EFI)?

I do work on my own machines a lot so got a couple of thoughts, but that lot might help narrow down the options. Because Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow is a fairly simple process, hopefully it'll just be a case of working through a list of potential culprits.

3. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    - It is EFI with a throttle body for each cylinder.
    - There was a bit of low end power lost when I installed the new short exhaust, but I didn't notice any change in power when the noise started. Throttle response doesn't seem to be affected except when I had the other hoses on and it was killing idle RPM.
    - It was idling fine before I removed the EVAP system, but it had many vacuum leaks because it was old and cracked. It did "lope" a bit, and seemed to idle a bit unevenly. When I removed the EVAP system, I put new hoses on (not factory), but I think they were too restrictive and wouldn't let it idle properly. I put the original hoses back on with jury rigged, taped up connectors and it's idling between 1000 and 1500 RPM again, which seems to be the comfort zone of the bike. It still doesn't stay at one RPM, though, and moves around a bit when I sit at a light.
    - Fuel economy has dropped significantly. I was going 150 miles before the fuel light came on, then it dropped to 120, and it just came on again at 95. I would say my heavy hand on the throttle is the culprit, but I typically ride pretty aggressively.
    - No fluid patches that didn't come from a spill while working on the bike.
    - It occurs most significantly when it's cold, but it's not a consistent sound. It's a random spurt that sometimes happens several times in a row, sometimes only once in a while. Seems to calm down once the engine is warm, but I still get it fairly frequently. It sort of sounds like pressure building up somewhere in the system and then releasing in a spurt.
    - I have a Coffman short exhaust fitted, which has an internal baffle to reduce noise and the loss of back pressure. That is the only drive train modification I've made. I installed the exhaust before I accidentally ripped that EVAP hose off, and it didn't make the noise at that point.

I'm fairly sure it's not a vacuum leak in the hoses, because I put brand new hoses straight from the ports to the idle air control valve. Like I said, it sounds like pressure is building up somewhere and then being released. Sometimes it's a rapid sound, other times it's just once in a while.

Thanks for the help!

4. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    My first thought is fuel line. I had a Kawasaki GPZ 1100 that got a nick in it's fuel line. It caused a change in the air/fuel mix, which caused to run like a dog (Struggled to idle, no power, poor throttle response & weird noises). It doesn't need to be a significant leak, initially it was so little the hot engine was burning it off without me being able to notice.

If there's an in-line fuel filter, maybe check that's not fully saturated or leaking.

I'm based in the UK so not familiar with the EVAP thingy, but from descriptions of it, I wonder if it was helping to cover the issue by being a flow restriction. Obviously the faster the exhaust stage operates, the faster the intake stage needs to go & if it's struggling to get the right fuel mix, this will be compounded as rpms rise.

Obviously when the engine is cold, it needs extra fuel, if there's a leak, that will upset that as well.

It sounds like you're dealing with very old hoses that have become brittle. A fuel line isn't immune to that either.

I may be MASSIVELY wide of the mark, but what you describe sounds like the issue I had. Apologies if it ends up with you wasting loads of time searching.

Only other thing I can think of at the moment is replacing the jury-rigged hoses with new ones at the same size, your duct-tape solution may be solving most of the problem. Hoses lines that are petrol resistant are widely available & simply cut to length. Perhaps get some jubilee clamps for attachment points (If there aren't any already).

5. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    I'll have a look at the fuel lines. It is an old bike, and probably has the original hoses. The fuel filter is inside the tank to my knowledge, so I'd need to remove a plate on the side to open it up and check.

6. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    If the filter in integrated, then I wouldn't worry about it, it's the external type I was thinking of (I'm not familiar with the 955i, so working off general knowledge)

7. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    So I was playing around with the setup this afternoon. Last week I broke the quick disconnector for the lower fuel line and had to replace it yesterday. I was tightening it up a little more after the fuel suggestions to make sure there wasn't a problem there, then I noticed that the rubber connector I had taped up had been torn and blown off again on the middle IAC port on the head. It was getting dark, and I noticed that there is actually light coming out of the port, which leads me to believe that maybe there is combustion backfiring back out of the IAC port? I can't be sure, but it looked like flame...or maybe it's just vapor and my eyes were playing tricks on me. Is that something that could happen?

As a side note, that made me think that maybe the backpressure is too high on the exhaust, so I opened up the collapsible baffle to get more air flow. Not sure if that will fix it or not.

8. deaks25

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    My experience is mostly with carb'd bikes so IAC valves are not something I've had to do much with. A bit or reading suggests the actuator that controls it can stick or jam due to dirt build up. Usually they just need a clean, but perhaps it's worth looking around for prices on a replacement. I'd definitely get the hoses replaced as well - that way the bike has no choice but to co-operate ;)

It would fit the issues you describe, i.e screwing up the air/fuel mix.

9. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    So it turns out that too much back pressure kills idle quality. That's obvious I suppose, but my supposed performance exhaust apparently had too much and the pressure was causing the exhaust to spit out the IAC ports at idle. That was the "flame" I saw. I took out the adjustable baffle in the exhaust and all the idle problems vanished. Acceleration performance hasn't changed, but engine braking is highly reduced from the jerkiness it had before, and when I release the throttle it just drops to 1000 RPM and sits there now. Amazing how the last thing you would think to look for is alwyas the culprit. Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I'm glad I can finally just ride the thing now!

• Like Like x 2