2004 Daytona 955i Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Daytonadude, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Daytonadude

Daytonadude New Member

Feb 11, 2024
    Wrexham
    New to the site, hello

Bought said bike august last year, all good. Put bike into hibernation for winter Nov to Feb, took bike for a ride yesterday and it died on me, luckily only 5 to 6 miles from home

All instruments on the dash died, but the bike was running, so I turned round and headed for home... but after a couple of miles it was running extremely lumpy and eventually died on me

Was on backroads so was lucky that a house close to where I broke down had a van, and we lumped it into the back and got me home

This morning the dash is coming on with the ignition, but there doesn't seem enough juice to turn over, it tries then there's a clicking sound...

Is the battery fooked? I did plug the optimate it overnight, but this morning noticed I hadn't turned it on at the wall socket... doh

If it is fooked what is recommended battery for the 955i?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Cheers

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Hi Dude,
    Almost certainly your battery, unless the mice have been at your wiring.

3. Daytonadude

Daytonadude New Member

Feb 11, 2024
    Wrexham
    Thanks, I have had the battery on charge for a couple days, it is starting and everything appears OK... Will have to do a local loop a few times to make sure is OK...

Shouldn't the bike run with a dead battery?

4. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I don't think they do anymore.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
  6. Daytonadude

Daytonadude New Member

Feb 11, 2024
    Wrexham
    Thanks for the link that is useful,

I understand the bike won't start with a flat battery but shouldn't it be able to run without a battery/flat battery.. I thought the battery was only used to crank the motor?

Cheers

7. Daytonadude

Daytonadude New Member

Feb 11, 2024
    Wrexham
    **UPDATE**

so i think i found what the problem was...

previous owner told me he wired the regrec directly to the battery and put a 30amp fuse in there.. I have read about this tweak, supposed to improve charging or something like this.

Turns out the 30amp fuse had blown, and when I say blown, it had melted to and got itself stuck in the fuse holder

hopefully now i have put a new 30 amp fuse in it will be ok .

\o/