2003 Daytona 2003 Rough Running Cutting Out Rich

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by merc85, Sep 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Thanks buddy, MSS performance are dealers for Dynojet, He rang them to see if they could help. The units are Obsolete :( They did say i maybe able to get one off ebay and then they could map it for £600.

All i want is a bike that runs ok because at the minute its horrible below 6k :(

Still after a standard ecu if anyone has a breaker on here?

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Google Triumph motorcycle breakers and ring round or fill in the enquiry forms. You should get lucky on eBay too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    .......is the unit you have a replacement or does it piggy back the standard ECU?

• Like Like x 1
  4. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Im after another ecu. I believe the Power commanders piggy back if the Original.

I've filled a online form out fingers crossed a breaker will turn up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    So i managed to connect the lap top at last.

[​IMG]

How does this compare to a 10181 map? sorry for the quality of image

6. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Ok Here we go,

So I’ve been busy, finally worked out how to upload maps and reset the TPS. Went for a ride and she seemed a lot better, But!! I decided to check the plugs to see if they were burning any better since uploading the 10181 map , big mistake I broke the fuel tank unions to the feed and return lines doh!

So i managed to Use a Brass 1/4 BSP to 1/4BSP 90 degree union for the return, lucky enough the Feed union wasn't damaged :)

The plugs after 50 miles of the new map looked like they were getting better, but i decided to go the whole hog whilst waiting for the union to turn up in the post.

[​IMG]

I did more work, Removal of the throttle bodies to Clean, along with the Intake manifold, using redex and a Tooth brush!
    The Frame and engine got a degrease and polish. Along with rubbing down and painting the Oil cooler lines and radiators.

New throttle cables Fitted as the old ones were clearly slack and and fraying inside the rubber sheath, Turns out this was also causing the butterfly’s to stick in the throttle bodies.

Chain slipper also worn right through and come off in bits so that was replaced Genuine Triumph and along with new JT sprockets and DID gold X ring 106 chain keeping the stock gearing.

I Also drained the coolant and refreshed with Antifreeze along with fitting a new temp sensor which was a bargain at around £10 as this was from a automotive fitting. "Vehicle Parts" is my business ;) Also i changed the Air filter not that this was really dirty but hey i was right there.

The Bike now runs and rides a dream, No surging at 3k or below and packs a proper punch when needed.

I think the previous garage had issues and altered the 10181 map causing the bike to run way to rich sootting up everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also Cleaned up the Rear Suspension assembly whilst i was there and regressed everything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Looking good, you've done a lot of work. Hopefully she'll run well from now on! Make the most of the weather :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Short lived Huston! we have another problem,

Ok she is NOT running rich any longer but now i have a idle issue which has just come up after covering 80miles since getting her back up and running.

If i go for a ride, come back she idles at around 1,400 then slowy on its own increases to a 1,800rpm idle?

Any ideas??

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you have reset the TPS then check stepper motor function

• Like Like x 1
  10. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    [​IMG]
    So start engine up, from cold, sprayed Brake cleaner up and around the intake, nothing altered. thought id let the bike come upto running temp untill the fan kicked in.

Ok peeps, after i got her back from work she was idling as the image shows, So had tea and went for a coffee with my wife, came back after the bike had cooled down.

Plugged Tune ecu in, Reset the TPS following the link below obviously not loading any map.

Started the bike she went upto 1,500 and gradually came down going as low as rpm before settling around 1,250rpm raised slightly to 1380 when the fan kicked in but a whole lot lower than before so then i turned her off.

Restarted when she was readin 71 degree's tunecu, Tested the iacv which i heard do its thing. Restarted the bike and she ticked over ranging from 1000-1250rpm.

Shall i try and reset adaptations? she does fluctuate quite abit wondering if the throttle bodies need balancing?

Just took her up the filling station, idle fine if a little low 1,100 gave her a run approx 5 miles quickly got back home still idling fine approx 1,100rpm

I’m wondering what will happen next. I will report back

• Like Like x 2
  11. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    #31 merc85, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    So bike still playing up when i got home from work, High idle so took some reading on TunEcu can anyone tell me if these readings look strange.

Temp ==== idle values

60 degres, -2. 3.99% (68) === Reading "warm engine not running"

60 degres, -2 3.9% (34) ==== After starting lambda 0.950v 0.04 1,960rpm
    83 degres, -2, 3.9% (28) ==== After running for a little while lambda 0.935v 1,710rpm

Reset TPS

89 degres -2, 3.9% (31)% === After resetting tps the RPM slowly increased to 1,500rpm??