2003 Daytona 2003 Rough Running Cutting Out Rich

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by merc85, Sep 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    #1 merc85, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Runs great on the run, I hear it farting through the Oe exhaust on but the engine seems tobe smoother at highway speed than with the Aftermarket blue flame one, Also stalling seems worse with that to.

25mph 2nd gear its not as jerking with the Oe exhaust on, seems to have more torque.

BUT! When stationary and you blip the throttle she wants to cut out and you can Smell the fuel so she's deffo running to rich.

New Rectifier
    New Battery
    Throttle body cleaned
    New iridium NGK plugs
    Injector cleaner
    New Air filter
    Oil and filter
    Vac lines check
    New Vac line ecu to airbox
    New Stepper motor 400 miles ago!
    New Coolant Temp Sensor 400 miles ago!
    Fuel changed to 95 ron on advice from previous owner

On the run she the temp gauge read 77-78, getting upto 83 on a Fast run/working the engine. Traffic see's it in the 90's then the fan cuts in not sure if 77-78 degrees is normal??

Pulling up at a Junction sometimes the rpm drops below 1,000 and she wants to cut out , if your stationary and blip the throttle she cuts out "hot or cold" with the side stand up or down, doesn't matter.

This morning the weather was alittle colder and she took a few extra turns to start , she had been a good starter up until today.

Really confused

2. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Have you tried downloading a suitable map for the exhaust and reset the tps?? That would be my starting point

• Like Like x 1
  3. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    No Sir, Tbh the previous owner belived a Local Company in Ipswich mapped the bike to the Blue flame exhaust but the bike/map doesn't like it.

I've since fitted the Original exhaust as the bike seems more drivable with that fitted and cuts out less. Also noted that if the bike is reading 90+ degrees the cutting oiut at stationary doesn't seem to happen the rpm's drop but not enough to stall.

Map could be the issue. Thankyou for the reply :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Just put tunecu in search and it should help in your quest

5. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Thankyou feckless, i've code read it with a OBD11 code reader and scanner and there are no error codes.

I've heard of TuneEcu, but no idea how to work it. nor how to get it with the correct lead.

6. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #6 t552, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Sounds like iacv hoses are gone.usally where they are attached the iacv. Pretty cheap about £12 each.

• Like Like x 1
  7. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Hi t552, all the vac lines from that have been replaced along with the one from the ecu to airbox.

Pretty sure its looking like a Map fault. Rang Lings in Ipswich but they were not very helpful, still waiting a phone call back from them.

is there anyone breaking a 955i? could always try a 2nd hand ecu

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Prob best bloke to help you is Clive wood but he is mega busy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #9 Callumity, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Have you also verified throttle body balance? Lambda sensor fitted and working?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    I only have the Bill for the above from the Motorcycle shop, No codes Stored in the Ecu, no warning lights.

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A u/s lambda sensor should throw up an error message but it could have been removed without a compensatory map. Imbalanced throttle bodies produce no error code but you need something like TuneECU to see the issue. Rich running suggests no air leaks that are more likely to cause lean running.

• Like Like x 2
  12. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    So this was one of the New NGK Iridium plugs i put in last week.

When this picture was taken id just completed a 100 mile ride.
    [​IMG]

13. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    New Vac lines on the Idle control valve
    [​IMG]

14. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    I've ordered a TuneEcu. and ive got a Map im going to try. Does anyone know if my Bike has a Secondary Air injection pump? I dont think i've seen one on my travels tbh.

15. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Well just done a 3rd cold start this morning with the standard exhaust on, Bike started fine, and didn't cut out, Seem's tobe idling a little higher than usual for some reason and hasn't cut out when the throttle is blipped.

Dam this thing has a mind of its own.

16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The standard exhaust? Leave it on and see how it goes.

I am somewhere between sceptic and cynic on ‘performance’ exhausts. I am no fluid dynamics expert but hopefully understand enough to question. Back pressure is actually flow resistance while scavenging is the phenomenon of piston pulses creating pressure variations that help gas down the tube. The length, diameter, baffling etc., of the OEM item are all carefully matched and optimised to the motor.

The single biggest selling (and most profitable?) accessory is the ‘universal’ go-faster exhaust. I live on a major biking route and the popping and banging of unburnt fuel in already loud exhausts tell me huge numbers are louder but no faster, nor efficient. Furthermore the ‘loud is safe’ balony fails to appreciate the sound envelope is like the cloud from a steam train - it trails way back where you’ve been - NOT where you are going.

Your fuelling issue may have several causes but fitting the original silencer probably eliminates one while making you a better neighbour. Have you checked the look of the O2 sensor in the right hand header? TuneECU will verify your ECU is getting the sensor signals it needs to regulate the fuel/air mix and allow you to accurately balance throttle bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  17. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    #17 merc85, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    I haven't physically checked the condition of the Lambda sensor, but have the bill dating back 3,500 miles ago.

Well managed to find somewhere who will look at it on there Dyno Machine, So i've booked her in Next tuesday fingers crossed hey.

Thanks Peeps for all the replies i will keep you posted.:)

18. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Right got the TuneEcu disc and cable, the TuneEcu wont read the ecu it gets to 40% on the 1st try and then times out?? so i cant read the ecu table.

ECU name is 10181 (10152) shortly after it i think.

If i start the engine it will read and display the rpm coolant temp etc, there are no error codes either.

19. merc85

merc85 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Harwich
    Right had the bike on the Dyno, she is 30% to rich below 6k rpm, above its 15% too rich.

Trouble is the "Power Commander" is produced anymore for the bike.

So im still after a ECU for it if anyone knows of one. Idealy like to get the correct one from a Daytona 955i. She did run 121hp which seeing as she's not running correctly i didnt think was to bad.

Either that or is there someone near Harwich Essex/suffolk who knows how to map these? Please i need some help :(

20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2