Featured 2003 America Rebuilt From Scrap

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by slimlavud, Jun 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. slimlavud

slimlavud Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    1113B0AC-A410-4120-9968-FE98FAA8B037.jpeg 0F565C61-076E-4252-82C7-35F3B780FFF5.jpeg 823CE807-B61D-4BCB-8916-676B3A78F525.jpeg Hello all, finally got my stolen recovered America on the road, not ridden a Hinckley twin before and am very impressed with it on the road.

11,000 mile (I think that is genuine mileage as the front tyre was the original and cams etc look like new but it does rattle a bit - do they all do that!?) bike was rescued from a crack den having been stolen and used for target practice I think - tank smashed in with a hammer, rear mudguard hammered, carbs missing, airbox, ignition switch and a lot of wiring missing and otherwise cut up and torn out, cotton wool and cocktail sticks stuffed in the inlet ports (yes, really!), speedo smashed with a hammer I think, front wheel spoke nipples broken, generally totally vandalised by crackheads.
    Strange things included two nails hammered into the top tube of the frame - strong crackheads it seems - and black paint thrown over the offside of the engine, you can see that I am still cleaning that off - using white spirit and a lot of patience... and the bracket for the rear of the plastic side panel has been twisted and broken off the frame - has anybody got one they have taken off to clean up their frame on a bobber/chopper conversion please!?

New or good used parts used:

As new tank
    airbox
    airbox chrome grilles
    carbs
    ignition sensor
    battery box
    battery
    speedo glass - from Triumph TR4 sports car!
    headlamp clips - yes, I don't know why they were stolen!
    side panel
    rear light - as new
    rear indicators and mounting bars
    air injection system plugs - I used Nissan oil drain plugs, dirt cheap!
    dual seat - as new
    paint - aerosol metallic black on mudguards - tank is original mint Triumph paint
    starter lead
    new Battlax front tyre - original had been slashed
    ignition switch - Chinese one for Honda CBT 125 - works perfectly with relays fitted - retains parking lights too
    oil and filter
    air filter k&N - airbox de-baffled
    wiring - relays and light and heavy cables
    fuel tap seals
    135 main jets
    spoke nipples
    rear footrests and mounts
    left handlebar switch - dipswitch was smashed

All this bought on ebay over nearly two years so total cost including buying the bike was £1120 - it can be done, if you have the patience!
    Thanks to all on here for your help, parts and encouragement.

• Like Like x 21
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Well done, good effort Slim :cool: bike looks tidy (love the tank colour too)

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cracking job you’ve done mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Nice job Slim, that's a cracking bike you have now first class job

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Great work! :cool: I love seeing bikes being brought back from the brink :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Love it! Another Triumph saved from the scrap heap, well done mate, looks lovely. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    As others rightly say great job and well done for rescueing yourself a cheap but good looking bike. :cool::cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm sure this bike will treat you well, @slimlavud, for saving it from such a sad life. :heart:Sort of like a rescue dog who is forever grateful to his (or her) new owner and knows where his bread is buttered. :):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    That's a lovely looking crack bike, those 2 years must of been hell but thank God it's clean now. :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi lovely looking bike.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    That price and patience is mighty impressive. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SUPERGRANDAD

SUPERGRANDAD Noble Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Well done great that you rebuilt and will be riding the old girl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks all, it was a labour of love and while I checked the valve clearances and ran a compression test, I had no idea what the motor might be like until I finished everything. It ran up on one cylinder and my heart sank but it was just a bad spark plug. It does whine in the gears quite a bit but I guess that I hear it because the standard e Faust’s are so quiet!?
    And there seems to be a lot of driveline slack/shunt? The chain is correctly tensioned and the Cush drive rubbers are good - is this on/off throttle slack normal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Slimlavud
    Well got to second everything the peeps have said. You have resurrected a real gem. Your throttle slack may need adjustment and check the chain for tight spots. But as you ride the bike it will free up considerably. Good on you i take my hat of to you.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. slimlavud

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks Joe, I do have a bit too much play in the two throttle cables, the chain is the original I think (11,000 miles on the clock seems genuine) and the bike seems quite easy on the chain, it hasn’t slacked off at all in 300 miles. The front and rear sprockets are original and the nuts and studs are tight so if nothing goes bang I’ll just keep riding it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Slimlavud
    Yes i had the same on my 675 and the bike war real jerky i readjusted the cables to about a mill play and all fine. Next time you get a chance get it on the stand turn the wheel slowly and listen to the chain go over the rear sprocket if it has tight spots you will hear it click or jump. Also take a look at the sprockets make sure they have not started to bend or turn.
    Regards
    Joe.

17. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I love to see rescued bikes back on the road. All three of mine were neglected, and parked. I get more joy out of them than I would if I bought new. What joy in that ? Payments, high license/insurance fees. You can do an awful lot of upgrading for what you put.out in payments on a new one. GOOD JOB ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2