2002 sprint starting issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony2945, Mar 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony2945

Tony2945 New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Salisbury
    Hi all,

I am a fairly new rider, I bought a 2002 sprint ST a fortnight ago, rode it home and got 2 more days of riding out of it before it wouldn't start.
    It was garaged for 9 months before I bought it, I have replaced the battery and ensured it was fully charged before using.
    I got the bike started once but never rode it.
    It has been charged again since and also trickle charged overnight.
    I am nott mechanically minded so really don't have a clue.
    All of the electrics work and at times it's right on the tip of starting.
    I'm near Salisbury so any ideas or recommendations of a helping hand are greatly appreciated.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi tony, welcome in, hard luck with the your starting, I'm sure someone will help but in the meantime have a look here

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    probably flooded it and the plugs have gone off. do not twist the throttle when you try to start it, leave the throttle alone or it will flood. if you can get at the plugs take them out and replace with the correct plugs for the bike( from a bad experience,lol) ensure the battery is fully charged and try with ,without and halfway choke. do not keep presing the starter for long bursts.I take it you have fuel??? try turning the petrol tap to prime and see if that helps, may be a vacuum fault

join this site and ask them, it is a bike specific site for Sprints http://www.bikersoracle.com/triumphsprint/forum/

4. Tony2945

Tony2945 New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Salisbury
    Thank you for the advice.
    I have got it in a garage now, looks like either the fuel pump or the relay.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    oh dear. still, could be worse. hope it gets better soon.

I always go for the easy stuff first, leave the nasty more expensive bits for later.