2 Years Of The 1200rs

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bmwjay1000rr, Sep 25, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Well morning peeps
    Where do I start .....its been 2 years of having the speed triple 1200rs bought brand new....within days I had problems and still to this day problem after problem and I'm not talking small ......new gearbox, low oil pressure, check engine, new ecu.....new tank, new engine covers....the list goes on....... as we speak guess where it is now....
    ...yep a triumph dealer for the past week....I think my time with triumph is coming to an end.....got given a 23 plate 1200rs while mine is being repaired.....and with 830 miles of the clock...... guess wot appears on the dash...." stop engine check transmission ".......says it all really.......

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Not very good is it? I hope you get a full refund as the bike is obviously not fit for purpose. Has the dealer done right by you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Hi Dawsy
    Dealer done rite....your having a laugh....how they look at it as.....it had warranty....and now it doesn't they are still fixing it.....

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    #4 TRIPLE X, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Something sadly amiss here. All I can say is that I have had a number of new Triumphs in the last 25+ years and all have been reliable with only a few minor issues and I would not hesitate in buying another. I am aware of some oil pressure issues with the 1200RS following an oil change but nothing as serious as yours. It would be useful if other 1200RS owners could report their ownership experience. I currently own a 1050 Speed Triple RS and am more than happy with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Surely the warranty should be argued to extend given the issues you are having over an unacceptable period?
    Do you have a concise inventory of dates and details including down time?
    If not, I would be compiling one with a terse email to Triumph themselves questioning this.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    No Quickshifter issues @TRIPLE X and what year is your bike?

7. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    No quickshifter threrefore no issues. Bought the bike January 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I have a 2019 765rs and the QS is spot on, any poor changes are my fault, usually in traffic with insufficient force applied to the gearlever, but VERY rare.
    The 1050s on the other hand, with QS, are a real mixed bag.

OP,
    with your user name @Bmwjay1000rr surely you must have heard of the gearbox issues on the bmw bikes, so it's not just Triumphs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    @Bmwjay1000rr What Eldon says is a valid point. You have missed a huge chuof your two years through no fault of your own. Get typing!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    It's a brand new bike, there are always niggles with new stuff. Bikes usually hit the sweet spot around third generation. Shit luck though, sounds like a particularly bad one. I would be looking for a replacement bike, they don't sell ktm's do they? ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    I too have had a 1200RS for 2 years and apart from the stated recall works have had nothing but FUN with it. Best bike I have ever owned and that ranges from a DT100, 400/4, CBR 600, 1000 ExUp, X11, R9T, Thruxton R, T140V couple of Tigers:1050, 1200, Speed Triple 1050RS and some others. That said I have only got 3650 miles on the clock. However each and every one, well expect from the first running in miles, have been fabulous. So good is the 1200RS I have bought another one this time in Baja Orange. Hence my black one is up for sale. Absolutely brilliant machines. IMHO...

• Like Like x 4
  12. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    FFS Andy he's already got one sh1t bike. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Sounds like you got a real bad example. If you have all the evidence of the issues you've had with it it might be worth checking with citizens advice to see if you can still reject it under the consumer rights act 2015, though you'd be claiming against the dealer you bought if off, not Triumph themselves. I hope yiu have better luck with your next bike no matter what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #14 Sandi T, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Like @TRIPLE X, I also currently own a 1050 Speed Triple RS (2019) and have had no problems other than needing a new quick shifter arm early on which has worked perfectly ever since. I'd be checking with the "big dogs" at Triumph and going over the heads of my dealership if I was in your shoes, @Bmwjay1000rr. I wouldn't dump an entire brand because of one bike but I can understand how you could feel that way. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    In the US we have something called 'Lemon Laws' in most states. They fix it, replace it, or must give you a refund. Might look into something like that in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    @Bmwjay1000rr It is a shame that you have had all those issues. It shouldn't happen with a new motorcycle. I have had my T120 for three years from new and, whilst I have not had the issues you have, it has proved itself to be the most unreliable bike I own. I has been back to dealers three times with staring issues. When working I love the way it rides but my faith in its reliability has waned. For context, my 1976 RD400 is more reliable.

17. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    Is the dealer/TRIUMPH stepping up? Or not?
    If they’re doing right, it’s a shame you can’t ride it after paying for it, and some compensation should be considered.
    I hope I read that correctly
    “Dealer done rite....your having a laugh....how they look at it as.....it had warranty....and now it doesn't they are still fixing it.....”

Don’t dis Triumph as long as they’re still fixing it on them. Spot of bad luck and a machine that hasn’t been properly sorted yet. That’s all.

18. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Hi guy's
    Quick up date...bike been with dealer now for 3 weeks......and they still don't know why the bike still has its problem of not starting...so far its had ,new starter motor,starter solenoid, new switch gear,new chassis control unit, new wiring loom, and still does it......dealer and triumph UK are stumbled to what to do next.......so basically they have to fix it 1st of all they said, then my options are give my bike more warranty ( but they didn't say how much longer) or a discount on a new one.......... what you guys think?

19. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    New battery?

20. Bmwjay1000rr

Bmwjay1000rr Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Cambridge uk
    Yes tried...