2 Up On 16 Speed??

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Moe, Jan 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi All,

As the title suggests, my wife said she would like to go out on the back of my speed, now I did have the perfect bike before but sadly now gone.

Any advice as I find the speed tall as it is, and not too confident in taking her on the back.

Cheers

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Use it as an excuse to get another bike, just so you can take her out of course! It worked with my wife!:p

• Like Like x 3
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes - it's a good excuse to buy a Tiger! :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Or send the wife on a CBT coarse.....
    I did, she rides a Street Triple now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WesSmith

WesSmith Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Not too much experience, though my son went on the back of my 17 R, and advised unsurprisingly that the seat was rather uncomfy and firm!
    If its for occasional use, I think it may be worth fitting a pillion grab rail, I fitted one to mine to make strapping on tail bags easier, and for something to hold when raising onto paddock stand.

6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Another option (but not cheap) here
    [​IMG]
    My son uses one on his Daytona675, his partner seems happy with it (and he gets a comfy back rest ;))

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
  8. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    A top box or any form of back rest definitely makes a pillion feel more secure (panniers make no difference), but both restrict rider and pillions options of how to get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    AHH ok, well I dropped the company an email, said can't get both together so maybe just the top box.

What bikes would you guys suggest of I did end up getting another bike? Under £4k and not too tall as I'm vertically challenged!

Friend has a 2015 BMW r1200r which is lovely, also called the DFS as it is so comfy but out of my price range.

10. PaulSpeedTrip

PaulSpeedTrip Member

Aug 7, 2016
    South Yorkshire
    Reminds me of when I used to take the wife on the back of my old Sprint ST...After around an hour of motorway I would feel her helmet clunk into the back of mine every other 5 minutes. When we stopped at the next services I asked what that was about and she told me she kept nodding off!!!!

11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    That's exactly what his wife does!

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The weight of a pillion passenger on the back will effectively lower the suspension slightly which will then make it easier for you to touch the floor.
    A Sprint GT/ST has a relatively low seat height and should be within your price range.
    Or you could go down the Trident 900 route via the Sprint variant perhaps and become totally hooked on them! There are bargains out there!

13. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    mIne to

14. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Ok will have a look. Anything non triumph?

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek::eek: Non triumph?:eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Been there! Summer 1982 Autoroute du Soleil somewhere South of Paris about 3 a.m. and after a bloody awful pain in my neck I am being battered by my wife and ordered to pull over. She was yelling ‘I’ve been asleep!’ We had been cruising at about 90 mph on the R100RS and the pain in my neck was her nestling her chin piece on my collar. I reckon she must have been sparko for at least 20 mins.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hells bells! Is this a common BMW R100RS side effect on pillion passengers? My ex wife did almost exactly the same thing going over Blubberhouses Moor returning from the Manx GP (as it was then, in 1980 I think) back home to Harrogate.
    Nice bike that BM, but not without its faults, thankfully fixed under warranty.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I like Honda's too!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I saw one a couple of days ago, seat seems very high on the back, it's a bit of a fatty too?! Assuming more weight than a speed.

Saturday going to go to triumph see what they have

• Like Like x 1
  20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    +1 for the 1050ST, had one for 5 years/30k miles, toured most of Europe with panniers/top box/wife on the back. Wifey preferred the higher seat (had 955ST before that), said she had a better view in front, not staring at the back of my helmet all day. Was still good enough fully loaded for some spirited riding (e.g. Stelvio) - the 955 wasn't IMHO.
    The old 900 Trident Sprint was probably the comfiest bike I've ever had (I was younger then and rose tinted glasses might influence) and the only bike wifey's fallen asleep on........ but she was a heavy old barge by today's standards (the bike that is :p).

• Like Like x 1