2 Questions

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by mbj, May 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    I have only 500 miles on my new t120, but the Pirelli tires are not very good. The only after market tires in the stock sizes and non-radial/radial combination that I can find are Metzeler Roadtec 01. These are probably way better than the Pirellis, so I'll go with them when the stock tires wear out. Anyone know of others that will work?

Also, are the stock brake lines braided steel? I know I should be able to tell visually, but I can't.

Thanks

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    They are all braided steel nowadays.
    They are rubber coated over the top so no braiding is visible nowadays

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SPC1

SPC1 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2019
    UK
    Avon Spirits are available in the correct sizes and are a massive improvement over the Pirrelli's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Yeah, agree - Avon Spirit or Continental Road Attack 3.
    I’ve just ordered a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01, having them fitted next weekend

5. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    According to my source, both the Avons and Continentals are radials in the front size. Doesn't that present a problem?

6. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Allegedly Triumph thought that running a mix of bias / radial was the best handling combination for the ST... but that appears to very much be the opposite opinion from owners.
    The original front tyre tracks badly and make imperfections in the road more pronounced. The durometer of the rubber is also too hard, I’ve personally never had chicken strips so big on a bike... I’m looking forward to some grip!

Ultimately i think it’s important to see what owners are saying, the bike has been out for 5 years now and most imperfections have been raised and suggestions for fixes tested.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mmrabit

mmrabit New Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Bakersfield
    The front tire on my 2017 T100 was down to the wear bars at 3700 miles, rear still looked very good. I put a Shinko tourmaster on the front, left the stock rear tire. The bike has never handled as good as it does now, really transformed the handling of the bike.

8. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    So you're saying owners are putting radials on both front and back with no problems?

9. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Yep. Check out the Conti Road Attack 3 owner reviews, all very good.
    I wouldn’t get bogged down in spec too much, anything is going to be better than the Phantom tyres and it’s not like it’s a performance machine, though you might be a knee down on every corner kind of rider for all I know :)

I should have my Metzeler fitted by the weekend, I’ll let you know what I think as soon as I get some ride time in...

10. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    Thanks for the reply. No, I don't drag knees (unless I'm crashing, don't ask me how I know). I have a "sportier" bike, a Harley XR1200 which I love, but I wanted a "touring" bike, and the t120 fits the bill for me. You are so right about the Phantoms, probably the worst tires I've ever ridden on, very disappointing. I noticed it almost imidiately.
    I've always been told that you should never replace a bias ply with a radial, so that surprises me. Please let me know how you make out with the Metzelers.

11. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Wheels & Metzeler tyres are on! The weather is awful so I won’t be riding till next weekend.

FECB0A70-A847-46EA-A9A1-09CC6F843D86.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  12. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    What type of headlight brackets are those? Are they an easy install?

13. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    They are LSL - I like them but in hindsight I wish I’d bought the option without the indicator holes as I’d prefer them lower.
    It’s a relatively easy job but you do have to buy a speedo relocation bracket, I used a Motone one, in order to isolate the speedo from the original bracket.

14. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    Thanks.

15. mbj

mbj New Member

Jan 21, 2021
    E. Durham N.Y
    So, how have the Metzelers worked out? I'm having a pair put on on Tuesday.