Featured Touring 1st Annual? Scotland Road Trip 13th-18th May 2018

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Jan 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Hear hear Ken, thanks Dougie, really was exceptional organisation. Was good having a slightly smaller group than GMU, all staying in one location. A great bunch.

Really regret having to break for home on Weds and miss the last few days, they looked spectacular.

So Rich, yet another drop ...?

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    @andyc1

Heres an account I found on line.

With regard to the colonization of St Kilda, Martin simply states that “the inhabitants of this isle are originally descended of those of the adjacent isles, Lewis, Harries, South and North Vist, and Skiy.” Macaulay, on the other hand, thinks it probable that Hirta was at first peopled by “ pyrates, exiles, or malefactors who fled from justice.” He also refers to the supposed Irish origin of the inhabitants, according to which theory, a Hibernian rover, named Macquin, was the first settler in St Kilda, along with a small colony of his countrymen. The prevailing belief, however, appears to be that the first inhabitants of St Kilda—like the Outer Hebrideans generally—were a compound of Celt and Northman; and this view is assuredly confirmed by the physical aspect of the present inhabitants, as well as by many of the names of places, etc., in the island. There is a curious tradition to the effect that the people of Harris and Uist were both desirous of possessing the remote island; that an agreement was made that two boats (or currachs), with an equal number of rowers, from Harris and Uist respectively, should start at the same time for the island, and that the party which first touched its shores should be the acknowledged lords of St Kilda. A close and exciting race was the result On nearing the wished-for land, the Uist men (Macdonalds?) had got a few strokes ahead, and would, in all probability, have gained the coveted prize, had not Colla Macleod, the leader of the Harris crew, chopped off his left hand at the wrist, and tossed it ashore over the heads of the adverse party! By this plucky act the Macleods are said to have become the possessors of St Kilda.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/stkilda/chapter03.htm

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I'll be meeting Lou and his mates tommorow morning in Braemar and having a run to Drymen with them,they have been doing the exact tour we did,really happy that the sun has stayed out for them:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    It's a realy interesting place actually - we sailed there some years ago and had a pint or two in the "Puff Inn", a pub that was then run by the MOD. Probably closed now. You need a weather window to be able to anchor there - with an Easterly you get blown ashore!

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I would have joined you sounds good,I need to earn though. I'm sure they enjoyed every minute too, you should sell the rights to tourism Scotland.Enjoy your run.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jockstew

Jockstew Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Bridge of Weir Scotland
    Just a few lines to say how much I enjoyed the first annual Scotland trip.
    Dougie done a great job of everything routes,accommodation,places to eat and drink and arranging the weather.it was also very good to meet everyone else on the trip which for someone who reads more on the triumph forum than contributes it was a bit daunting meeting all these new
    Faces (made to feel very welcome and appreciate it)sorry for not posting sooner but I’ve done another trip round Scotland and a trip round Wales including the Mach motorcycle and music festival.also thanks for the t shirt
    Dougie that’s it fits me now,don’t know how you’ll top this tour but look forward to seeing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I keep looking for your photos Mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jockstew

Jockstew Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Bridge of Weir Scotland
    Looking for the link Dougie put up as I type James

• Like Like x 2
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Its great to hear about the area, Beer, friends, and food BUT regards to the goings on that led to your sore arse, that should stay where it happened.
    Enough said Rich :heart:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    No doubt about it, it was a great week and I'd do it again tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Although I’m English :) I will wear my Scottish pin badge with pride every rally/meet that I go to :cool:
    Cheers @Dougie D :kissing_heart: FD5239D0-A3D7-4F82-AFB2-651DEF63B7E3.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Ive got an Ogri :):)

• Like Like x 1
  13. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    You can get ointment for that!:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Jockstew

Jockstew Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Bridge of Weir Scotland
    That’s a lot of castles you’ve stormed

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    That's 'coz him is a bloody 'ooligan who keeps dodging Nursey's meds!:eek::scream::laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Nah....that’s where I get my meds :imp::p

• Funny Funny x 2