1999 Tona 955i Streetfighter project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Dai-San, Oct 27, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    So, I've picked up my new toy and am posting some pictures here as reference images for how the bike looked when I purchased it.

I bought this bike from a breakers yard as an insurance writeoff (amazing what they throw away nowadays) and as I was looking for a new project thought "What the heck".

She is a 1999... yep... 15 year old... Triumph Daytona 955i in (I think) Strontium Yellow with factory supplied Carbon Fibre rear hugger and chain guard and full factory Stainless Steel racing exhaust.

Anyway, here she is as I saw her before I snapped the blokes hand off and whacked a deposit down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see she was in an accident which caused only cosmetic damage so I assume she was knocked over whilst stationary somehow as there is no damage to any of the metal work, footpegs, exhaust, levers etc which are the first things to get damaged in a moving accident.

With the plastics (fairing etc) being so expensive to replace the insurance company wrote the bike off and sold her for scrap.

I was after a 'project' to Streetfighter anyway but didn't dream I could get such a bike in such good condition as a base so I'm well chuffed.

Anyway, watch this space for updates and pictures as the project moves ahead.

• Like Like x 4
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Firstly sorry I didn't approve this post earlier was busy with other things last night.

I take it you are looking to change the bike? If you were looking for panels can I suggest giving Ivan Walton a call at National Triumph in Coventry as he has most things for these bikes, if you look on the parts forum you will find contact details there.

Only reason that I mention this is that it is such a tidy bike it would be a shame to change it for the sake of a couple of panels.

Cheers

Steve

3. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Hi Steve,

No problem about the approval mate, we all have RL's.

As to the Panels, I was actually looking for a Streetfighter project and just happened to find this at the right time, but your right, it is a very tidy bike for a 15 year old and having them contact details will come in handy for other things I need I'm sure.

4. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Part One - Homecoming

Another trip to Bristol to pick her up in a hired van. Normally I would ride a bike home but as she was from a breakers and an unknown quantity the wife decided that I would prefer to bring her home in comfort.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning and a lovely fresh sunny day dawned so I decided she deserved a quick shower and then work begins. First job of the day, strip off the remaining damaged plastics and get her in shape for a test ride. She had been for an MOT test on the Thursday and passed with flying colours and not even an advisor so I knew she was safe to ride but I still did the once over and then had to remount the right hand indicator as the fairing was now removed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Continued in next post

5. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    So now some pictures after the cleanup and strip of all the scrap. I still can't believe she is 15 years old, I have had 2 year old bikes in a lot worse condition than this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Continued in next post

6. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Continued in next post

7. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Some gratuitous shots to show the lovely colour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally a quick walk around cos there's nothing like moving pictures.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/5_s4NjV5Nn4[/video]

8. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    So, the first few bits I ordered have turned up.

I'll start fitting them at the weekend but I can't fit the Handlebars yet as I need to swap the Top Yoke.

[​IMG]

9. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Rather pleased with the alarm and the levers match the new handlebars exactly and look nice against the paintwork (I was a bit worried about them looking odd).

New Mirrors turned up but again, until I swap the Top Yoke I can't fit em.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/9-08FXIotoo[/video]

10. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    I had noticed that at around 5,000 and again at 10,000rpm there was a definate hesitation so I thought I would investigate the easy options first. I Downloaded the Android version of TuneECU and grabbed a custom map (9895) for a 1999 955i with a factory high level exhaust (I had already ordered the lead as shown in the last post).

As I suspected the standard map (9894) was loaded on the bike so I loaded the 9895 map and bloody hell, she's a different bike, smooth through the entire rev range now and a lot more responsive. The only remaining niggle is a slight tendency to chug in first if in very slow traffic although this seems to be a common issue and easily cured by giving her a few more revs. Unfortunately the 1999 has a very limited amount of Custom Maps available unlike the later models so I may play about within TuneECU and change the mixture at low revs slightly.

Anyway, I have ordered a few more small items but I can see the progress going slowly at the moment as I am having to use her for the work commute until my wifes new car arrives and having no garage and the clocks changing doesn't help.

I will post pictures as I take em (need to clean her up first, she's filthy)

11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Youre gonna have loads of fun there mate,looks a good un. Good luck and keep posting. Like the bars and levers,mean looking.

12. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Here's my speedtona SpecialBrew050 alt.jpg

SpecialBrew050 alt.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    SO... Been a long time partly due to waiting for things to arrive from China, Partly because I had to use the bike for work and partly because it's damn cold outside and I don't have a garage.

Anyway, I finally got everything together, bit the bullet, put on the thermal underwear and got to it!

I needed to get some spacers to mount the headlight bracket onto the new stantion brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some nice Stainless spacers and Bolts so let the fun begin.

[​IMG]

Hey, with no Garage to put her in this is the best I could do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the picture below you can see the temporary brackets I have fashioned to hold the clocks, these will be replaced with some nice custom ones I am having made.

[​IMG]

Again, in the pictures below you can see that the headlights themeselves had to move forward so I made some temporary brackets until I have some nice ones made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post

14. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Continued

This turned up too late to be included but in case anyone is unsure it is a replacement for the Front Brake Reservoir pictured below it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These nice new Carbon effect Stainless Steel Braided hoses drastically improve the front end braking due to them not expanding and also being seperate hoses rather than the single split type originally installed. (You can see this in the earlier posts if your really interested).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got rid of that huge plastic back end assembly with the old Dremel and fitted a much neater Tail Tidy with new Turn Signals (which I have already melted one of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally , a quick walk around. Why? Just because!

Hope you enjoy and I will post up the new brackets and any more mods. (If I can stop riding her long enough to do anything).

15. mutz-nutz

mutz-nutz Member

Nov 10, 2014
    northumberland
    keep up the good work dai-san its taken shape

16. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Nice work there.

Can't beat a bit of Rizoma bling.

17. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Good job. More fun than a tona or any standard speed.

18. Toad076

Toad076 Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Essex .. Near Bas Vegas
    Lookin sweet .. quick question .. how long are the bolts holding passenger pegs (exhaust side) as i have the high level can but the supplied bolts i have arent long enough to mount the pegs back on as well .. Cheers

19. Dai-San

Dai-San Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Market Drayton
    Lo mate,

I don't know if mine are standard (I suspect not) but I can give you an idea of what you need.

Exhaust.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

20. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Looks like you have been busy :upyeah:

Biggest issues with these conversions is hiding the plumbing around the old front faring.