1998 Daytona T595

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by peacefuljeff, Jun 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. peacefuljeff

peacefuljeff New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Hello,

I'm looking at possibly buying a T595 with 7500 miles. Sat up for past 4 years, with an apparently blown engine. When I lift the rear wheel off the ground and put it in sixth gear, I can barely turn the rear wheel. Is that because the engine is literally in pieces, or is the compression really that good? No key yet, unable to try to push start, or even see if the lights fire up with the key on. No oil leaking.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jeff and welcome in. May I offer a piece of advice? Before you try to start the Daytona please do ensure that you have a fully charged known-good battery. These bikes can suffer sprag clutch problems and trying to start the motor without good volts is a road to pain !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome
    Agree with thebiglad the battery is very important on triumphs make sure it's a good (new) one with at least 12.6v
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.
    If you are getting the bike at a real knockdown price, just buy it and be prepared to fit a new engine or at least a rebuild by the sound of it.
    I personally wouldn't try to start the engine or you may cause more damage.
    If you take the plugs out and slowly turn the engine by hand you may get some idea of the damage, but ultimately it sounds like a full strip down.

• Like Like x 1