1996 Triumph Adventurer 900cc Gas Mileage Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dan Mercer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Hi,
    I had someone clean the carbs three times and very poorly might I add. So after many hours of YouTube research I found how to extensive cleaning of my exact 3 Mikuni BST 36 carbs. New jets, new float assemblies and bowl gaskets. Used torch head clears to make sure all pert holes in the jets we polished and cleaned heavily with carb cleaner. The bike runs great now but seems to inhale gas. About 17 miles to the gallon. Float heights are set to spec. Vacuum sync is perfect. So somewhat unsure why the poor mileage seeing it’s suppose to get around 40ish. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Is it on the standard airbox and exhaust?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Whats the mileage?
    Emulsion tubes worn?
    Can you smell fuel, could be a leak somewhere?

My old T300 Sprint got 30 mpg most of the time and only on a run in summer got 35 mpg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    I must be lucky then. My 900 Trident, averages around 50mpg. UK gallons. That is with cone filters, and larger jets too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My 94 trident got 50mpg with ease and sometimes bordered on 62/64mpg (20km/ltr-24km/ltr) work done , 3-1 exhaust (open) needles lifted approximately forty thous or more and vacuum bypass port drilled out from 3 mm to 4mm.
    Quicker throttle response so use less throttle to accelerate as much/hard reach cruise speed sooner at lower throttle opening.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Yes. Standard exhaust and an airbox with a k&n filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    hi, the bike has 16k miles on it. New to triumphs so I’m not quite sure what the emulsion tubes are. Can’t smell gas and don’t have any leaks. New head to carb rubber units. Stumped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    This is not a scam. I’m looking for tips if anyone else has had this type of issue. Hoping for help. That’s all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    The emulsion tubes are in great shape. I just cleaned, polished and used a torch tip cleaner along with lot of carb cleaner to make sure they were very clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dan Mercer
    Carbs when deeply cleaned like you say can consume a little more fuel but does settle down after about 50 miles. Other than that sorry i am at a loss. Welcome to the family by the way and do keep us all informed to the results just as a help for others. Share a picture of the steed just hit the upload a file button bottom right corner.
    Joe.