1996 Triumph Adventurer 900 Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dan Mercer, Mar 18, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    #1 Dan Mercer, Mar 18, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Hi Everyone,
    I live in Michigan and had this bike running very well last fall and it was very nice weather today and was gonna take a ride. After it started I had a bit of white exhaust coming from left pipe. When I would revved it up it would backfire super loud and flames shot out the right pipe several times. I’ve rebuilt the carbs, synced them, using rec fuel with no ethanol and a bit of Techron fuel additive. It was running great when I parked it in the fall but now it’s unridable. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Dan

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dan Mercer.
    That sounds like water in the system. May just be condensation from the lay up. Check your rad and if it hasn't lost water just try starting a few time see if it flushes the system out.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Thanks Joe. I’ll give that a try. I appreciate the info. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dan Mercer.
    There are some very clever peeps on here and i hope you get some more clever thoughts to get it back on the road. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Try cleaning the plugs as well. When you do the the plugs out make sure you arc them out on the engine and put some kitchen roll paper across the plug hole to make sure there is no water in there when you whizz the engine over a few times.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    I'm far from being an expert. But the backfire makes me think unburnt fuel being ignited by the hot exhaust, caused by wrong fuel-air ratio. If you never replaced the intake rubber they will be old by now, and possibly with cracks in them, allowing false air. Spraying starter gas or safer, WD40, on the intake rubbers and check for increased revvs may be worth the trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Thank you again Joe. Will g
    Hi,
    Those I bought brand new along with the clamps. Starting to wonder if the coil packs are causing the issue. Thx. Dan

• Like Like x 1
  7. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Could very well be it. You could always move the coils around and see if the problem follows one of them. If you need to replace them, check out Paul Messenger's stick coils. I've received mine and will do the conversion when I can take my Tbird out of hibernation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    If the bike was parked up on the sidestand , condensation and/or water dripping from the edges of the tank can get into no.1 plug. Also try running bike on prime position if you have it, then turn to run, no 3 cylinder may be low on gas.

9. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Hi
    I went out and checked the coils. They seemed ok. The two back connectors on all three. They homed out at 800 ohms. From plug wire to terminal 8.5k ohms. I took a heat reading off the right exhaust and around 400 ant the left was 70. Cold enough to touch and hold on too. Carbs have been rebuilt with all new parts except I used stock jets but I cleaned them very well. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx.

10. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    Hi, I just friended Paul so I’ll see what he has to offer and if he even makes them for that style. I know my spark is weaker than it should be. Thx for the info.

11. Dan Mercer

Dan Mercer Member

Sep 25, 2021
    Sanford, Michigan
    hi
    Tried the coil swap. Couldn’t get the bike to run. So I guess it’s time to get it to a shop who knows way more than I do but thx for the idea.