1996 Trident Misfire

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by davidbarker, Jun 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davidbarker

davidbarker New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Hello to all,
    I have a 1996 Trident 26k genuine miles that I bought last year, it ran lovely last year, did a minor service on her, and from then I get a little roughness at 4,500 revs it clears at just over 5,000 revs, so my question is could this be down to the carbs needing balanced or could this be an ignition problem.
    I also have a second question, I changed the oil and filter put in 10/40 semi synthetic Oil I have a problem with oil light. Starting from cold it works fine, but when it warms up the light does not work could this be me using the wrong viscosity oil?
    Thanks to any help that can be passed to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Try checking over the carbs and balance and if this doesn't sort it then check to see if you have something you have disturbed or going faulty in the ignition system, as for oil going one grade thicker will not be the cause of the oil light problem if anything it will raise the pressure slightly, the oil light being on basically tells you that the oil pressure is below the minimum pressure threshold so when hot it maybe just there is residual pressure in the system ...or the sensor is faulty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davidbarker

davidbarker New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks for advice I will book it into some where for a carb balance, I will also check oil light wires as I could have disturbed something when I had tank off

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My '95 Trident 900 had a slight vibration around 3,000rpm when it was relatively new. Now, with over 54,500 miles on the clock, it is creamy smooth. As has already been said, balancing the carbs could cure your rough patch. If the bike has been standing for a while, stick some Redex or other similar fuel system cleaner in the petrol. This really does make a difference with these bikes.
    I've used 5w/40, 10w/40 and 10w/50 semi and fully synthetic oils in my engine over the years. It uses very little between changes but seems to be liking Motul 5100 10w/40 semi synth at the moment - first time I've tried it and will be using it again at the next oil change.
    Just another thought - when were the valve shims last checked? Mine improved noticeably when they were done last time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidbarker

davidbarker New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I’ve ordered up some Forte fuel system cleaner, also going to change plugs as I’ve no idea when they where last changed, will get carbs balanced and hopefully clear the problem up.
    Thanks again for advice

• Like Like x 3
  6. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #6 t552, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    20200604_185619.jpg Pilot jet blocked. Start from with warm engine but cooled down pipes. Start and hold at 3k for a few seconds diff temp pipe will tell you which pilot is blocked.
    You will need to poke some copper wire through to clear. Too small for ultrasonic and compressed air will fire it out your hand never to be seen again. Don't ask me how I know.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1