1977 T140v Backfired And Died

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Eric27, Jan 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    I was riding along...all was normal and my 1977 t140v backfired and died. It would not start. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    A sudden change from normal running to a backfire and engine stop would suggest ignition system problem. That could be a break in any part of the ignition circuit, battery failure, points (if you still have a mechanical system) or electronic ignition system. Does any or all of your electrical system still function e.g. lights, indicators horn. Can you remove a plug and get a healthy spark when kicking it over with ignition on. Still worth checking if you have petrol getting to the carbs (still fitted with 2?) While you have spark plugs out put your finger in a plug hole and kick the engine over. Good compression will be enough to almost force your finger out with a powerful jet of air.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks Julian.
    All other systems work so will start with my search with ignition system.
    Thanks again
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    You're welcome .the simplest check is for sparks at the plugs followed by the finger compression check whilst the plugs are out . Please don't be offended but make sure ignition switch is in the "on" position and the engine kill switch is not off. Let us know how you get on

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eric27

Eric27 Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Canada
    I like the way you think

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    • Useful Useful x 1