1975 T160 Maybe

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Chris Fenoulhet, Jan 19, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Fenoulhet

Chris Fenoulhet New Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Kent UK
    Hi everyone I sold my 69 trophy last year mainly because of age and wearing myself out kick starting it before even getting on it now I think I may be re-joining the fold with the bike mentioned above, I am probably biting off more than I can chew but the electric start scenario might be just what I need to squeeze another couple of years biking out of this aging old body (mine not the bike) but what does concern me is the battery as most 70's bikes the battery would barely run the lights let alone the starter is there a sensibly powered modern equivalent that would uprate cranking and starting power and any other pitfalls I should be looking for? I have already found a fork cap cracked which is no biggy but would be keen to know any other failings this model has as I have not actually parted with my money yet many thanks and hope to be back in the saddle soon

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Lithium batteries , smaller lighter (much) and have a much greater CCA , cranking amp's is where lithium batteries Cream lead acid options !!! I went from around 60/70 CCA to around 220/260 CCA !just going to lithium ! They also will charge at extremely high rate's , can take up to 80% of full charge capacity in approximately 20 minutes or so !
    So if you find yourself on the road with a flat battery, hook up via good quality jumper leads to a vehicle with a big alternator 100+ amp out put and you can achieve a fully operational charged battery in 10+ minutes , remember the lithium battery is 5 to 10* the needs operational capacity !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    i have ordiary lead acid batteries, motoblatts, and several shorais

i will never buy a battery again that is not a lithium shorai. my machines are kick start, but the shorai powers everything, seldom needs charging ( i have the expensive charger) and stays charged with no thought all winter.

expensive and worth every penny

zero maintentance

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chris Fenoulhet
    The electric start was a joke and waste of time. You use it to often from cold and the sprag gears will snap on you. I think you can get upgraded parts now but add another couple of grand on the price.
    Joe