1969 T100c Rubber Mounting Engine?

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Shabuti, May 18, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shabuti

Shabuti Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    So Iv been using my T100 as a daily driver for a few months now, finally got new tires and wheel bearings on it and it seems to be happy to ride. Starts up every time with little effort, sometimes none. Very minute oil leak, hardly even noticable over hundreds of miles. Gets 60mpg, basically it seems to be a great daily driver in my opinion.

But, my trip is 20-30 miles per day mostly rural roads where speed limit is 65mph. Iv had the bike upto 70mph just to see what the vibration was like at that speed vs the 45-50mph I typically ride. Didnt seem to improve much.

I run 90 octane non ethonal fuel, so I retarded the ignition timing a tad to try and smooth things out and that helped a little, mostly at lower speeds. But at 50mph it looks like Im sitting somewhere around 4k rpms, maybe a few hundred less than with stock ignition timing. And 70mph looked maybe 5500rpm or so. Tach isnt fully reliable.

Before I takle this endeavor I thought it worth asking if anyone has ever considered or done this successfully? As far as rubber mounting the engine. I know anything is possible with the right tools, and I might get alot of flack for "ruining" the feel of a classic.

But at the end of the day, Im really looking for a way to PRESERVE the bike while using it as a daily driver. The vibration is such that over time I have had to replace numerous bolts throughtout the bike due to the threads being stripped smooth. These near 60 year old parts I feel cant handle the raw beating of this motor much longer, so Id like to find a way to stop beating them up so bad.

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I think a small commuter bike for work is the answer :)

3. Shabuti

Shabuti Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2022
    USA
    Been lookin at that....but what I want, I cant really afford to drop $7k on a new one and leary about buying a newer used bike I know how most of them are treated haha.

But I had to replace some parts on the T100 anyway so while I was putting everything back together I decided I had some thick rubber washers so I stuck one on each side of where the top brackets mount the from the rocker box to the frame. That small change did make a noticable decrease in vibration.

So up next Im going to buy new rubber washer and put one between each solid motor mount to the frame and see how much smoother that makes things.

20240522_084334.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    if it works, it works.