1967/1969 Bonnie Rebuild Desert Sled Project - Any Advice

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Sundance, Sep 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sundance

Sundance Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    So . . . with my set-up, being an older one with the holes in the ball ends, the thackery washers go next to the rocker arms and the flat washers are on the outside? I'm pretty sure this is correct but . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Correct. The flat 1/2 washers go on the inside/centre x2 of each box and 1 on the end of the shaft with the seal against the rocker box as the Thackeray washers go against the out sides of the rocker arms and there is a 3/8 ID x 1 washer for each box for the outer smaller end of rocker shaft that holds the oil pipe union end and that also goes against the outer box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I am planning to purchase some new engine case fasteners as well as engine to frame fasteners. It seems that there is a difference in the fasteners kits I see for engine to frame, like on thebonnevilleshop web site. There is a kit for up to 1968 engine to frame, then a kit that is 1969/1970. So my frame is a 1967 and the engine is 1969. Have any of you had this issue before? I’m trying to determine what might be the best kit/solution for my 1969 engine going into my 1967 frame? Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The 69-70 engine fasteners UNC and the 69-70 frame fasteners UNF will both work ok, just the two studs that are in the frame already that go to hold the rear engine plates are different so use the original or if you like just use the 67 frame kit to keep it simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, I will be going with the 67 fastener kit. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Since I got my new cams, I thought I would do a dry run assembly making sure they had enough clearance in my bushings - as I had to to some trimming of the timing side bushes. So, the exhaust side was fine, however the intake side could rotate but I could tell it was binding, I believe on the inside part of the bushing on the timing side. So, I am going to need to remove this bushing. I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to reuse the bushing even though it has been installed once? I would think it is not worth the risk of having a bushing spin so I’d need to get a new one and trim it as needed. Thank for your comments.

IMG_2468 2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    dont remove the cam bushing until you check!

loosen all the crankcase bolts and try doing them up again, tightening the ones under the pushrod tubes first and going roundin several tightenings. sometimes the cams can be binding in good bushes and you just have to find the tightening sequence that keeps the bushes lined up.

if that doesnt help, try reaming the offending bushes again just a bit and put it back together. sometimes just a bit more metals removed will fix the binding problem.

if the bnding is because th ebushing is too long rather than not reamed enough, take it to a machinist and have him mill the bush flat down to the aluminum. that will solve the problem, and is how you have to do it anyway if the bushes are not cut to length in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    ok, thanks for the advice. I’ll try. I’m pretty sure it is binding on the inside however. When I try the cam with the case open it seems the shoulder of the cam doesn’t extend enough for the cam gear shoulder to seat with clearance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    sounds like its time for the whetstone

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, the whetstone. Do you think I can re-use the bushing - or would need a new one since this one had already been installed and it might be a looser fit? Not sure if anyone has done this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #151 speedrattle, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    no im pretty sure you can tap it out. warm the cases well and you will likely be horrified at how easily they can be removed.

sometimes the problem is the cam and not the bushing. i had to send a megacycle cam back once because it locked up on original bushings.

make sure the problem is that clearance and not something else. put the cam through the timing side bush and look closely at it from the the timing side of the case. the cam step MUST stick out farther to the right than the bush, else you are tightening the cam pinion against the case and not the cam step.

youre sure the problem is the timing side bushing and not the one on the drive side? you do not normally need to modify the timing side bush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Yes, I am pretty certain it is the timing side intake bush. I tapped it out and I can see where the cam was rubbing against the inside (top hat side) of the bushing. It did tap out quite easily, that is why I wondered if it was a good idea or not to re-use it. I could take the whetstone to it to remove more material and then re-install it - or get another virgin bush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Looking for Help with Pushrod Tubes. I’ve taken a good look at the 69 parts book regarding this, as well as the page on JRC Engineering that has a great description (https://www.jrcengineering.com/tech...ding-triumph-tappet-blocks-and-pushrod-tubes/) . However I am still a bit uncertain how to proceed with my rebuild.

My pushrod tubes align with the one in the 69 parts book, it is castellated at the top (part number E9349). When disassembling it had an O ring inside a cutout on the bottom of the tube, as well as an O ring at the top (E7310), fitting over the castellated part (just like in the parts book). It also had a white rubber washer that was sealing the bottom of the tube - however this is not represented in the parts book. So I suppose what this means, from what I’ve read, is you use whatever size of washer(s) you need on the base of the tube to insure a good seal when assembling.

When looking at the JRC Engineering diagram for 69-73 650 Twins, it seems to identify another component of this assembly (that was not found when I disassembled my motor). So I am wondering if this is the “wedding band” part that I have heard mentioned at times? This being the case, would it be good for me to include this wedding band when I put my engine together? - Seems so if it will fit.

The length of my tubes from the top shoulder to the base is about 4.87 inches. The diameter of the base of my pushrod tube is about 1.24 inches, and the diameter of the cut out on the base of my new Aerco Cylinder for the rod tube base is 1.36 inches. So it seems there is some room for something here around the base of the tube - like the wedding band item.

I see the wedding band listed on the JRC Engineering site as part numbers 71-1707, 71-1707C, and 17-7107S (also on thebonnevilleshop site). So it this is a good idea to fit this band, how does one determine which pf the 71-1707’s to use? I would imagine it depends on the clearances, however I have not been able to find the measurements of any of these bands.

OK - well while writing this I found Service Bulletin No. 324, which seems to indicate the wedding band was a fix, and that it is something I can add to my re-build. Again, if this is the case, which band is the correct one? Are they different sizes? Once again further looking I find that the size must be the same, the C version being chromed and the S version being stainless.

So I think I may have answered my own question while writing this - but if there are any comments that might assist me I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

IMG_2475.jpeg

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

IMG_2478.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 12.05.38 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The seals bottom inside and outside top seal the tube and the white washer comes in three thicknesses and creates the correct 1/16th crush, the wedding band stops the white washer spreading.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Might help to clarify

sb_324.gif

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Well, I’m quite busy today on the forum - result of finally getting the flu. So here goes some more questions.

Regarding tappets. Those from my bike need replacement, There was some chipping on the edges of a couple and uneven wearing so I need 4 more. I’ve been advised to beware of those manufactured in China as they have had some failures.

My bike had the oil driveway plugged for the exhaust tappets - The Routt barrel that was on it wasn’t drilled. The new Aerco barrel I have is drilled, however I am going to keep the case plugged as I’ll be having new tappets and cams (nitrided).

Please take a look at the photo of my cams, they all look the same, with a smaller diameter section in the middle of the tappet rod So, do I need to find tappets with the same smaller diameter middle section? For example see the photo from thebonnevilleshop of intake R tappets that are the same diameter the whole length of the shaft. Would there be any problem with these? Also, since I am not running with an open oilway for the lube to the exhaust cam, is it OK, fine, advisable to use 4 tappets which are the same - as was in my old motor. So could I just purchase 4 of these R inlet tappets and be good? The other tappets I see for sale that are exhaust tappets have the oil hole, is there any benefit running those on the exhaust side when the oil driveway is plugged?

Thanks again

IMG_2482.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 2.16.08 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I also note that the exhaust tappets I see for sale have the oil hole in the rod, an oil hole on the tappet bearing surface, and the head of the tappet has 2 cutouts on either side. I am curious how this affects the engine in view of my previous query?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    R lifter/tappets are primarily inlet lifters so the straight ones as now produced by L F Harris are fine on the inlets and will be ok for you to use on the exhaust as you have blanked off the oil feed as i remember you saying that your cam manufacture recommends the R type as well for exhaust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    OK, so my old cams from megacycle had the recommendation for the R's. My new cams are LF Harris, 70-3134 and 70-9989. I guess I should check with LF Harris about tappet recommendations. Good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1