1967/1969 Bonnie Rebuild Desert Sled Project - Any Advice

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Sundance, Sep 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sundance

Sundance Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I’m putting my forks together. I have my original sliders, but most everything else is new - new stanchions, seals, nuts, etc. So when I put the nuts on and work to tighten them, even when very tight I still have some threads showing on the sliders. Is this normal? I’d like to get them fully covered but am not able to at this point. So I’m wondering with the various tolerances with the seals, washers, bushings, etc, if I should give up on this. Perhaps there is enough difference in the new parts that this makes it impossible to get the nut to cover all the threads. I appreciate any advice!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    That is normal, all 64-70 forks show around 1/8th of thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    By Nuts I meant dust excluder nuts - so there may have been some confusion due to my part when describing my issue. So I ended up measuring the inside of the threaded portion of the dust excluder nut to where the slider abuts, and this measurement, along with the thickness of the top bushing and its accompanying washer makes it impossible to not have a few thread showing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I’d appreciate some advice on reassembling the frame. Is it better to assemble the front and rear sections and then the swingarm - or should the swingarm be attached before the rear section? Thanks for any advice!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Correct the bottom fork leg will always have some thread showing below the chrome seal holder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I fit the two frames together and then the swingarm, just built mine up.

20220226_160503.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks! Wow, great photo. Gorgeous!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I’m replacing my rear tire. Any advice on how to manage the tire security bolts? Replacing the front tire was already a challenge and I’m thinking this will be more challenging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Just remove the nuts and they will release the grip on the tyre, push them inwards as you deflate and you can change the tyre the same as a front tyre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you for the frame assembly and tire mounting advice. I will have to decide about whether or not to include the security bolts. I’m not planning on doing any racing these days!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    i confess i dont use the security bolts at all on anything. there are several schools of thought on this. some people call them life savers, so maybe i just live dangerously.

i do have an old borrani rim that i drilled for sheet metal screws to hold the tire in place, but i havent had the screws in in years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Rim locks (security bolts) do make tyre fitting a bit more difficult.
    They really only help if you continue to ride with a flat to stop the tyre spinning apparently. But I still use them if they are there although lots don't. I'd just play on my mind if I didn't.
    I never use them on new rims without the required rim lock hole though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I was able to get the rim locks installed - but it wasn't so easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    I decided to take some time to get my chassis rolling so I could install the engine (as soon as I get the transmission indexed and sealed up) and continue the engine assembly in the frame. Here are a before and after for any interested folks.

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Sundance - that is going to be one good looking bike. I really like the frame colour. It'll be a corker when it's done. Bloody good job :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Looking great, like the colours :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    looks good

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sundance

Aug 2, 2021
    Arlington, VA
    Help with Cam Followers - I was going to put on my barrel and pistons and head this weekend but ran into some difficulty. I purchased new Kibblewhite tappet blocks from fagengine (Part # 010154) and new inlet cam followers (PN# 70-3059 R) and exhaust cam followers (PN# 70-8801) from The Bonneville Shop. So I installed the blocks and when I got to fitting the cam followers I found they will not fit into the tappet blocks. If I try the fit from the other side they slide in an inch or so, but from the side they need to be installed they go in a 1/4 inch or so and no further. Have any of you had this sort of experience? Thanks.

IMG_2705.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Other than cleaning the bores in the lifter blocks and carefully deburring all the parts i have never had a problem with LF Harris parts but not sure about others.

• Agree Agree x 2