Featured 1965 Tr6ss Resurrection

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by painless, Dec 19, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. painless

painless Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    This what I have so far, the frame and engine are matching numbers, so I think the bike is worth trying to rebuild as close to what it was as new. As you can see in the photos someone modified the rake on it, I am working on fixing that first.

tr6ssleft.jpg

tr6ssforksright.jpg

tr6sscarbs.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    A great looking project :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    excellent. how are you going to deal with the modified frame?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    I have already cut out the pieces that were welded in, and I have my other 65 frame for reference, so I can straighten the top tube to get it back to stock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Excellent, my side stand lug was so butchered i decided to get a new one and they are the only people with the early lug.

20211129_120944.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Started re-aligning the frame today, put a brace between the upper and lower sections so I didn't pull that out of alignment, used a piece of ready rod to put some tension on the upper tube and then only heated the bottom half of the upper tube, luckily we have some snow on the ground so used that to quickly cool the tube to shrink it back into shape. The top tube is now straight with a straight edge on it. It looks like front tube needs to be pulled back about an inch to line up with the steering head. I will take some measurements off my other frame and see where the problem is. I will let you know how I make out.
    Later, painless

frame.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  8. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    Okay so last night I was looking through the service manual and found the frame measurements, and found out where the other bend was, I guess when they bent the top tube to increase the rake on the forks they didn't tie the top and bottom of the frame together so it bent the rear down tube too, the measurement form the middle of the tube at the center of the curve where the top tube bends down, to the center line of the bolt hole on the front motor mount is 18.5 inches, it measured over 19 inches, when I pulled it back to 18.5 inches the front tube now lines up with the neck. Perfect, so now I need to make new pieces to weld back in.

frame1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  9. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Cor, well done. I was thinking it was looking like the front bottom curves but then the engine mounts wouldn't be right. Excellent job that man. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    Started dismantling my other 1965 Triumph, boy did someone ever cut a lot of brackets off, lol. Will have to fabricate them and weld them back on. I will post some pics after I am done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    So here we are, mounts attached and frame painted, will assemble into a roller, ready for the engine to be installed. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine, waiting on parts. We had a lot of our roads destroyed in winter storms,
    so delivery has been really slow.

finishedframe.jpg

enginestaymnt.jpg

tankmnt.jpg

reartankmnt.jpg

steeringdampermnt.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  12. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    great transformation!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Great job, nothing more frustrating that waiting on parts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    Still waiting on parts so decided to try to remove the chrome from the primary chain cover, as you can see the chrome is pretty bad, scratched and pitted, got out my electric palm sander and some 600 grit self adhesive discs, didn't do much to the chrome, so tried 100 grit discs, that worked, so thought I would do a little area and see if i could polish the scratches out, ran 600 grit over it and then liberal amounts of aluminum polish and a rag over the 600 grit disc. It actually worked, so I finished sanding the rest of the cover and polished it.
    From start to finish it took under 4 hours. A new cover is about $ 250.00
    canadian, so not a waste of time. I will do the other covers tomorrow.

clutchcover1.jpg

clutchcover.jpg

chromecover.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Looking good. Great idea putting a rag over the sander. Hard work getting these things looking nice but well worth the effort in the end.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Great work on saving the original cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    So here is the finished bike, not correct I know, after all of my research into the TR6SS model, it is supposed to be gold and arctic white but the tins I used were in mint condition, I couldn't bring myself to paint them. The SS model supposedly wasn't sold in the states but was in Canada with dual exhaust.
    Now that that project is complete I am going to build the other 1965, a T6 into a street tracker, it has a 1969 engine with a 750 kit. I will start another thread for it when I get started on it.

left.jpg

right.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Wow you don't hang around. Looks great now its done :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Beauty

• Like Like x 1
  20. painless

Dec 16, 2021
    Powell River BC
    I have installed an anti wet sumping valve on the TR6SS while waiting on parts for my other project, the valve installed prevents the bike from running if the valve is off. I already have this valve installed on my BSA Spitfire.

oiltap.jpg

oiltap1.jpg

tr6oiltap.jpg

• Like Like x 3