1963 Tiger Cub T20

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Crunchy62, Sep 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Crunchy62

Crunchy62 New Member

Sep 24, 2021
    Ireland
    Hi, I was just thinking a '63 Tiger Cub. It was stripped and rebuilt by the owner. However I spoke to someone today who told me to stay well away as they are very unreliable and prone to "Big End" failure. Can anyone put my mind at ease? The bike is selling for £2500

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Iron

Iron Guest

Pretty good price for a rebuilt one.
    Good Cubs are as reliable as any other old good Triumphs. We all had them as kids and thrashed the bollox out of them, those ones would need some work, but a rebuilt one? Ask the seller what he's done, a well rebuilt little 200cc four stroke single is a nice little reliable machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Crunchy62
    Yes a pretty little bike and if rebuilt bet its got the better mains and big end rollers. But they are as Iron said robust little machines. And even a rebuild on one is a doddle. See if you can get anything knocked of the price which i dough but always haggle. They are quite rare now and a real fun bike which will just keep going up in price. Welcome to the family by the way.
    Joe.

4. Crunchy62

Crunchy62 New Member

Sep 24, 2021
    Ireland
    Thanks all. i think I may have used the wrong term "rebuilt" This is what has been done:
    Body work and frame were done. New loom New tyres New handlebars and levers Lights sorted New headlight and rim New tail light Tank was sealed to help with this E5 petrol New seat and cover New coil New battery. Don't think engine was rebuilt but as it's a 1963, as far as I know, the "Big End" failure issue was sorted by then.. It probably needs a good tune up and I think the forks might need looking at. Here's a video ... see what you think

• Like Like x 2
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Crunchy62.
    Sweet machine. The carb i would hazard needs some more fettling as it should run just a tad clearer than that. Also that HT lead needs to be tucked under the tank and perhaps covered with some tubing to stop arcing. But a lovely machine and worth the purchase.
    Joe.

6. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    I think he's potentially hiding a clutch slip issue as well.
    It might just be me, but as he stops he almost wants to go a little further forwards and then gives up and just keep revving it to stop it stalling. When he then does go forward sta the end, it's actually under foot power/paddling, than any real engine power that I can see. Hence why it's possible, but not guaranteed, that there may be clutch slip.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    NIce looking machine and it certainly sounds willing.

I'd suggest that it would be worth the investment in a new monobloc carb and, at very least, a pancake air filter .... especially given your relatively low purchase price.

I, too, noticed the possible clutch slip but reran the vid and saw that the clutch lever wasn't fully pulled back so the clutch may not have been disengaged properly - not a good thing to do.

"Back in the day" (early sixties) Cubs did have a bit of a reputation - I seem to recall it was small end bushes/bearings that were thought to be most fragile. I'd expect more modern materials and manufacturing tolerances to have long since addressed any concerns there.

A nice machine - enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 2