Featured 1961 Triumph Twin Tr 5 C (tr 5 Ac) Competition Model

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by keny, Jan 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. keny

keny New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Torrance California
    Rare 1961 Triumph Twin, TR 5 C, one of only 390 Competition models made by the factory. Converted to a Bonneville Racer & built for the 500 cc, 350 cc, 250 cc, & 175 cc engine classes. Set 7 Bonneville World Land Speed Records using Lady Riders. Frame is stock, not “chopped” with matching engine numbers. Custom Belt drive Blower, stock factory Carb with custom blower can. With SCTA Log Book # 3304, Bill of Sale, Running, can be ridden, some spare parts, Cylinders, Head, AC ignition. Need the funds to build the M/C Streamliner for a lady rider. Both sets of cylinders, the 350 cc and the 500 cc cylinders, are stock bore. According to 'Triumph Motorcycles in America' book, it was actually a TR 5 A/C, made only in 1961. The factory made the TR5C, TR5A/R Roadster and a TR5A/C Competition. There's a description and picture of a stock TR5A/C on page 65. Rumor is bikes with the “A” marking were only shipped to America. (TR 5 C is the Continental model, No “A” stamped on engine, and believed to be imported to USA by a private party, & never licensed.) $4000 Cash only! +shipping. Kenny Lyon Photos of bike in yellow and blue paint jobs, in my FB albums. https://www.facebook.com/keny.lyon/media_set?set=a.327290230656493&type=3

26841561_10155875873451145_2588914702036399707_o.jpg

• Like Like x 15
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It will struggle to run without HT leads.......or are they the old clips without suppressor caps?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Is that what you really zoomed in on :p

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    No, that was the idiot instructions drawn on the sidecase above the gearshift. I am just an old traditionalist.

Did I miss something else?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Well ........ uhmmm, not necessarily, but I was, personally, intrigued by a few interesting and intriguing aspects of the photo ....

The timing chest cover is really unusual - I mean, it looks like the early unit con., small bore models type but doesn't have a points cover moulding, and the two protrusions at the top of the cover would suggest that one is a pressure relief valve and the other an oil pressure gauge take off?

It also appears to have two long legs - one on either side - as props. In fact the one on the right hand side looks like it was made originally for the left side judging by the angle of the foot, and, though the left hand side leg isn't visible, there does appear to be something like a similar sized block beneath it to enable the thing to stand up straight.

The front forks? Well, I can't work those out at all! There appear to be three lugs to the front and one to the rear on each leg - that's an awful lot of mudguard stay bracket fittings, isn't it? And the sliders just don't look like original to me. The oil seals wouldn't last ten minutes, either, once they'd suffered a bit of up-and-downy, in-and-outy, slidey-slidey motion from those rusty, pock marked stanchions! Mind you the big knurled knob for adjusting the damper tension looks pretty useful and practical. Nice.

But I don't think you missed anything of any serious interest ....... OH, wait though, standing behind the bike in that picture - are they Cessnas?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Well I am not in the market so didn’t want to be the smarta**e tyre kicker but the front end looks ‘less than original’ but nor does it claim to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Blower and "zoomie" pipes ? I'll bet you can HEAR that, both coming AND going ...:D ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brian Jilley

Brian Jilley Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Norfolk UK
    I wonder why the tank and rear guard do not match. Absolutely bootiful example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    The forks look like summat off a 70/80's Jap 250.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Jap, yeah, but probably bigger than 250 as they look to me like twin disc calliper mounts?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Yes, they are. Dint notice that.

• Agree Agree x 1