Featured 1947 Triumph T100 Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Mark9, Jul 16, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I picked up my new project today, here it is with its previous owner Geoff, he’s owned it since 1955, he took it off the road in 1966 and began restoring it in 1990, he had the engine rebuilt, stoved the frame etc, rechromed and painted tank, bought a host of new parts from exhausts to loom etc etc, 2 years later the restoration stalled (life got in the way).
    I went to view it last week and he said he didn’t want any money he just wanted it completed, I said that wasn’t on and he should agree a price with his sons, this was done and today I took the bike and a car load of spares.
    It’s now with me and I intend to complete it over the winter.
    He hadn’t seen the tank in 20 years and thought it could have suffered in his loft, we unboxed it and wow, as good as the day he put it away:)

upload_2022-7-16_17-46-27.png
    upload_2022-7-16_17-47-22.png

• Like Like x 17
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    What a "find"!!! You are a very lucky man. Once it's restored I think you will discover that this is amongst the sweetest looking and running of all Triumph machines - certainly of the pre-unit era.

The '47 500 twin has a very special place in my affections - I had a brief but utterly seminal ride on a 1947 Speed Twin (gold lined Amaranth Red and chrome tank with inset instrument panel) shortly after passing my motorcycle test in 1966 and that ride, even more than the '58 T110 I owned at the time, cemented forever my devotion to Triumph motorcycles.

I'll look forward with eager anticipation to seeing the story of your progress and, of course, the finished article. Good luck.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Thanks Adie, yes when you think that there are machines such as this all over the country in old peoples sheds lying undiscovered it’s a crime!
    This one came to light due to a health visitor friend seeing a painting of
    the bike on the owners wall and commenting on it, I pushed the bike home yesterday it took 10 minutes, that’s how close to home it was.
    I agree they are one of the prettiest bikes ever produced, photo of a finished one for the uninitiated:)
    Although Geoff has done a lot of great work there’s still a lot to do, luckily the engine is already rebuilt etc, due to my busy schedule I’m going to say it will take a year to complete, the only part that is missing according to Geoff is the speedo which he took for rebuild 20 years ago and never went back for!, so if anyone has a Smith’s chronometric 120mph speedo I’d be interested:) 95191910-29A7-4381-B268-FD7D3B597314.jpeg

PS he’s got a 1928 Scott Squirrel in his attic which a friend of mine is going to look at as soon as I’ve arranged it, hidden treasures eh!

• Like Like x 9
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    What a great project, and fair play to you for not taking it away for free.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Congrats on a great find :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Things like this is what I love to see. Sounds like Geoff was happy to see your passion for the bike, and sometimes that’s worth more than any amount you could pay for the it.
    Will follow along, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Well we’re off to a very slow start!, all that’s happened so far is I’ve put the bike in the garage and transferred a lot of parts from Geoffs loft to my loft.
    By now I had intended to move a couple of my bikes to to the shed to make a work space in the garage and start on the loom but the heatwave and a minor back injury have stopped that!, so bike moving is now tomorrow, this morning it’s a trip to the National Motorcycle Museum to pick up a workshop manual for it and see how much info I can glean/photograph from the one they have on display, looking at the workshop manual PDF’s online such things as loom routing aren’t in it so seeing the real thing may give a few clues, I wonder how long it will be before I get told off for being on the wrong side of the rope! :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    It took 15 minutes which was way longer than I actually needed, eventually a very polite lady approached me and said that I wasn’t allowed beyond the rope, I duly apologised and walked away with several close up videos from every angle and around 40 photos, a successful operation!

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Shes a beaut :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm eager to follow your project, @Mark9! I love it when a sad and neglected bike finds a new home with someone who will nurse it back to health and care for it. I know it sounds weird, but I think that each bike has a sort of "bike soul" and needs a good home and someone who loves it. I'm sure this bike is happier because of you bringing it home!

11. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Hi Sandi, yes she’ll get plenty of attention, just as soon as the new kitchen is completed!, the kitchen fitters are using my carport as a workshop so I can’t get to my garage to work on the triumph!, very frustrating and approx another 2 weeks before they finish their work, I can get to one of my bikes though to go out for rides so not a complete disaster:)