Thruxton 1200r Clutch Problems

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Tricolore, Jun 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Out this morning and under hard acceleration the clutch seems to be slipping.....big time.

It's OK under 4000 revs normal riding and road conditions, up hills etc but when you get above 5000 rpm accelerating to 80 - 90 mph the rev needle goes mad and you get sudden blasts of power.

Seems odd when bike was fine last weekend and I've only done 1500 miles, tried adjusting the lever as I've changed to aftermarket, but no difference.

Can it just want adjusting or anything more sinister ? Thought when its doing that under hard acceleration it's buggered ?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Did this coincide with the change of lever by any chance?

3. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    No, levers have been on 600 miles or more, the only difference Is I've been using more revs 6000 + and giving it a bit more welly....that's when you really notice it.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I have never ridden one of these bikes so don't know how fast it revs up?:confused:
    You say you're using more revs and giving it more welly!!
    Couldn't be the tyre spinning up could it??
    Sudden blasts of power?
    Spinning then gripping???

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The Traction Control is not cutting in is it?

6. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Don't think so guys, there's almost a loss of power over 5000 rpm. I've got it booked in, in a couple of weeks. I'll give it another blast at the weekend and give the dealer a better description.

7. Midas

Midas Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Check the lever is going all the way out, they have been known to stick a little....failing that you need to check the cable/lever adjustment at the clutch end of the cable...

8. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Well the bikes back after a whole new clutch being fitted. It would appear the supplying dealer when fitting the black engine cases didn't replace the clutch cable arm correctly, the clutch was slipping all the time but gradually just got worse, the clutch was completely burnt out after 1400 miles.

I didn't notice anything until the last hundred miles or so but I bet I'll notice a huge difference now.

All under warranty thanks to Triumph Birmingham

• Like Like x 2