1200 Scrambler Xe - Service Light Reset

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by FlyingMuleRIder, Jun 6, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FlyingMuleRIder

FlyingMuleRIder Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Montana
    I have crossed the threshold of the first 500 miles and have performed my own service on my 2020 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to reset the service light so I do not have to take it to the dealer??

Thanks - Dave

2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    You probably need something like this......http://dealertool.co.uk/

This is what I will be getting to reset the service light on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I'm thinking that your warranty is flying out of the window!!!???
    You really must hate the dealer as changing the oil and checking the bolts etc is easy for a home job but surely the stamp in the book was worth the cost on the first service???

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I don't want to tempt fate here but I'll probably be doing my own first 10k service irespective of warranty considerations. I've done this for as long as I can remember on far more complex bikes than a classic Triumph. I've even had parts changed on bikes out of warranty (2 new discs on a FZR1000 springs to mind) and recall work done as manufacturers dare not risk refusing to do recall work, especially safety related stuff, wether the bike's in warranty or not. Having said that, self servicing can be problematic on many new bikes packed with gadgets and electronicary requiring special tools and locked down diagnostic software/firmware etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Interested to know how you get on if/when you do go back to the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I’m in total agreement with you that nothing on the service is difficult at all but it’s just that if your spending £11-12k on a bike, (minimum) is it worth NOT spending an extra £100 for the first service to keep up the warranty?
    Definitely after its (warranty) over then yes, do it yourself but beforehand? Not convinced personally.

7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The first 500m (oil change) service cost me over £180 so I reckon the the 10k service will be pushing £300 which, on a bike as basic as a Street Scrambler, I find extortionate.
    The only bike I ever considered having dealer serviced for warranty purposes was a £17k Ducati but I fell out with it and got shut long before the first main service was due. I had the first 600m service on the Z done by the dealer and have done every subsequent one since including valve service which is a BITCH!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ultratoad

Ultratoad New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    San Jose, CA

9. Ultratoad

Ultratoad New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    San Jose, CA
    In the States you can perform and document all of your own warranty work/part changes and it will stand. In fact, the prevailing law states that the factory has to prove you did something wrong in a failure to deny a warranty claim...

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JCD

JCD New Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I just recently figured out how to reset the service light. You can find older YouTube videos of people using the TuneECU app which is only compatible with android phones or a windows computer. That app used to work up until they discontinued the app and now have it available only in their website. Just go to their website, download the app and follow the instructions to activate the app. It costs about $13 to activate your account and you can register up to 5 motorcycles. Down below are the links for the device that connects to the motorcycle, the link for the website to download the app and the YouTube video with some instructions on how to reset the light using the app.

Make sure you read all the information there is on the website just to make sure you're comfortable doing it yourself. It is a very simple thing to do so you shouldn't have a difficult time being able to do it at all. I just wouldn't mess with the other setting because people have disabled other functions on ther motorcycle because they were resetting other random things that had nothing to do with the service intervals.

I hope this helps you and all others trying to do the service on their own motorcycles

App website:
    https://tuneecu.net/

YouTube Video:

OBDLink LX OBD2 (devise used):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9S71LW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. JCD

JCD New Member

Aug 15, 2021
    Lake Elsinore, CA