12,000 Mile Valve Check

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Speedy Pete, Feb 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Having just purchased a 2010 Speedy with about 9.5 k on the clock, and an issue with the ignition switch wiring, which has meant removing the tank and air box etc.
    I am tempted to check the valves early while here, I see it's not quite as straight forward as my old 955i Tiger and T595 plus if they are out it means camshafts out to change shims.
    Has anyone found the valves to be far out at 12K or shall I wait till I get there.
    I have changed the plugs and air filter already and will probably do the fuel filter as the tank is empty right now, may even stretch to the coolant as I don't know when it was last done.

2. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Unless she was ridden super aggressively, I would be surprised if there was anything to change at 9.5K. I'd personally defer that work because when I got to 12K I'd check again anyway.

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Pete, I’ve just done mine at just shy of 12,000 miles. I’ve had the bike basically from new, it had 349 miles on when I got it! The oil has been changed every 4000 miles and the bike hasn’t been tracked or abused from cold or overrevved just used “normally” I suppose. All the clearances were bang in the centre of adjustment except for one on the inlet side which was a fraction tight but still within tolerance, I suspect this one may need adjusting next time as this type of valve gear tends to close the gap as the valve wears into the seat rather than wear the shim or bucket. By all means have a look while the airbox is off but it would be a fairly safe bet that they will be in tolerance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I’d probably check since I was there already for piece of mind but these bikes rarely need adjusted before 24000 miles or more

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Thing is if you check now you prob wont need to take cams out but WILL have peace of mind and if clearances good - you can wait til 21k miles ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Thanks everyone for the good advice, I think I will get a few miles under my belt as its new to me and check at 12,000 miles, unless it gives me reason to check before.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Also.....
    Most unlikely to get it with such low mileage, but when the valve clearances close up you usually get a warning by finding the bike doesn't start from cold very well.