12,000 Mile Service

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bryan3R, May 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Yes it’s possible to do it diy but I’ve got service book and full history,don’t want to devalue that by doing diy service with no stamp in book,just need to get somebody in Glasgow area to do the 12000 miles one at decent price no intention of going to triumph.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I can’t really stamp the book myself have prob got enough spanner work to do it,tbh by time I’ve finished my 12hr shift cycles I’ve barely got time to ride never mind do a service,don’t mind paying for it but deffo going to independent shop probably bill the biker good reviews,only done 3k in 2 years shocking but too much going on for last few years.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Receipts for parts bought for the service that correspond with work done is worth more than dealer stamps when it comes to part ex, apparently.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I've always service my own bikes, and always got good money px.
    As far as stamps in the book, I would prefer receipts. Many moons ago, I used to work in the motor trade, often unscrupulous traders would visit the garage, and sneakily use our dealer stamps to fill in missing services in there service books.

5. Mick P

Mick P New Member

Hi. I'd like to know how you removed the old needle roller bearings from the drop link as I'm having a devil of a job getting them out ?

6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I can recommend muddy sump. Did mine in October for £360 I think it was. Head bearings valves, rear linkages, the lot. As part of doing the linkages he found two roller bearings were seized but didn't have the gear to do them. I bought a link off fleabay, about 40 quid, to simply swap new for old. However, the bike was on its centre stand and I could not get the front of the linkage out as one of the stand bolts went through it. So ( info for @Mick P ) I got some M10 stud iron and nuts then used various spacers, sockets and jacked the old bearings out and new ones in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Good to know muddysump comes highly recommended but he’s awaiting an operation,was due at end of February but with this corona shit storm that’s probably been postponed.

8. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Try following this

If you need to remove the bearing, us a vice and a socket of a similar size to the bearing, to push the bearing out, you will need a larger socket on the other side to push the bearing into. (Do not hit the bearing out)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    My friend is an independent. He keeps all linkages ready to go as knows too many fail, and takes a long time to repair. He will swap them, then replace the bearings when he gets time. MS should do the same and not put failed bearings back in.
    Just my take on it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    @t552
    Fair point well made! But even if he had a linkage he would not have been able to change it with the bike on centre stand. I was grateful he made me aware of it.

11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #33 t552, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Sorry but, failed linkages are so common, and part of any major service he should be able to fix, be it using ABBA stand or whatever and slide hammers where needed. Telling someone its failed is not good enough as i see it. He does not do all models just selective, so should have all areas of service covered.
    Your model SSSA is easy compared to T595 SSSA type linkages.