Sprint 1050 Sprint St Hot Running?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by AndyB, Sep 20, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AndyB

AndyB New Member

I am now the proud owner of a 09 1050 Sprint ST which I'm enjoying. My only gripe is the heat that seems to come off the engine on the left hand side, and also under the seat which cooks my nads around town (not that they get much action at the age of 59) Is this normal (heat from engine on seat, not lack of use of nads)
    The temp gauge is at 75% of the bars around town and never seems to drop below 50%

2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Hi, I also have a ST 1050, and the engine heats up quickly in traffic. The fan keeps it at 75% max.
    As the fan switches on (often in town), it push hot air on our precious body parts.
    And the normal temp is 50%, your bike seems to work as expected.
    Check if you still have the 2 "heat guard" (basic black foam pads) in the side fairings. Maybe the left one si missing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    My Sprint GT also runs (what I consider) excessively hot. I'm sure it is some emissions related bollox. Anyway, got TuneECU and reset the fan operating temperature - it now cycles at a lower temperature. I am also thinking of fitting a manual over-ride or even an additional fan. I have checked the cooling system, flushed and re-filled, so know it is good.

4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have a Speed Triple with the same engine
    Runs at 6 bars of 8
    In traffic it goes up to 7 and fan comes on, as I don't have the fairing the hot air dissipates easier,
    These engines do seem to run hot, just ensure the radiator is clear of crud which reduces efficiency and make sure coolant is fresh and fully topped up in the radiator and no air in the tubes

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    You sayin you had hot nads reminded me of James Hayden on the FP1. Check it out.

a.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Russell Johnson

Russell Johnson New Member

Oct 5, 2021
    France
    I hadn't noticed any hot running on my 2010 GT until a recent trip to the Pyrenees. at the col du tourmalet summit t after faffing around finding a parking spot the engine dropped about a teacup of water under the fairing. then again but less fluid on the decent. I topped up the water in the expansion bottle and kept an eye on the gauge. It ran hot in traffic but the air temp was 30+C and settled down when moving. The fans came on. When I questioned this with my local dealer the technician said it was normal for this bike!!! I put it down to high air temps and reduced oxygen at the higher altitude but would have thought the bikes were tested to ensure all was OK in any conditions hot or cold and at any altitude!!