'06 Sprint ST intermittant ignition.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dunc, Aug 18, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Huntingdon
    Ladies and Gents. My Sprint ST recently started cutting out for a split second (and fuel light came on) when hitting bumps/potholes. So I pulled the l/h fairing off and had all the connectors apart and checked them - nothing found. I ran the engine and poked everything I could get my hands on and jiggled everything and couldn't simulate the fault.
    I put it together and made it WORSE! Now though the whole dash lights up and the clocks do their self-check hand sweep. I've checked the battery terminals and all connections that end.
    I'm pretty sure it is a loose connection or cracked wire on the ignition circuit is this model known for this? Thanks in advance for any experience with this.

2. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Huntingdon
    Right, I've stripped all its clothes off again. Replaced the main fuse (advised that a cracked main fuse can cause this) checked all the other fuses and it's still cutting out. Seems to be under full suspension compression oddly enough.

3. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    Check, disconnect and thoroughly clean the instrument plug and pins carefully and the ignition barrel plug connector and pins. Had this on my zx. The needles would go haywire and dash lights come on because of a corroded plug. Later it would cut out on full lock because of some worn wires in the ignition barrel harness itself.

4. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Huntingdon
    Thanks Robin, I'll give that a go. I'm getting way more acquainted with my wiring than I'd like. I've swung on the ignition barrel wiring and have now had the main fuse box in my hand and wrangled it about with the bike running and haven't duplicated the fault so going for the instruments is a new approach.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good luck sorting it - I hate electrics. Welcome to the forum though.

6. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Huntingdon
    Right, here's an update: I was chatting to someone who said they had a loose plate inside their battery causing a very similar symptoms. As the place I bought the battery from a place that has supplied dodgy batteries before so I replaced it with a yellow MotoBatt. That wasn't it.
    Then I removed the alarm as it had been a bit intermittent lately but I didn't think that would be it as there was no immobiliser on it. That wasn't it either.
    As I'd been fiddling about with the wiring I pulled all the stuff under the fairing apart and checked it and ty-rapped it back into place. That also wasn't it.
    Getting frustrated as it's a dynamic fault only when hitting rough AND undulating roads. I noticed a couple of missing screws on the battery tray. That'd move about on the road. So I put screws in and secured it. That also, also wasn't it!
    So having exhausted all the power feed problems I thought maybe earth problems. So, I bonded the frame, and the engine directly to the negative terminal!

THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK so I haven't actually found the fault but I have bypassed it which is good enough!

Thanks for your suggestions and if anyone else has this problem in the future they can search the technical pages and find an answer.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    Love a satisfactory ending!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    so many times u hear the problem and not the solution so its go to get the answer thanks for taking the time dude.