Featured Speedmaster '06 Speedmaster Impulse Buy.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Golgotha, Oct 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Had another "f**k it" moment and threw down on an '06 Speedmaster. Got a pretty good deal. Decent mileage- 10K. Needs some TLC. Never laid down. Has about 20 rusty bolts to be either replaced or wire-wheeled off. Getting rid of that horrific sissy bar and losing the apes as well. Came with the original seat that's going to need reupholstering and the signals, which were removed for some reason. Going to try to get her back to original spec. The Mrs prefers cruiser-style bikes so this is a good way to get her on a Triumph more often. She's a bit nervous on my Speedy.

Previous owner said he couldn't source some of the original spec bolts and screws needed to replace some of the god-awful aftermarket fasteners present. I'm definitely going to need some tips and advice from those in the know.

Put my Speed Twin plate on her and took her for a couple mile spin. Actually a peppy ride. I figured it would pale in comparison to the ST. ST has a lot more snap and growl(obviously) but this bike is certainly not to be underestimated. Guess this delays my HD rat bike project for a bit.

More pics to follow.

0.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Got one of these I picked up for "peanuts" 9 years ago. Reliable as a Timex watch. Only major thing I improved other than bells and whistles was a much improved front brake caliper. WAY better than anything Harley ever accidentally screwed together. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congrats on your new-to-you Speedmaster, Golgotha! Looking forward to following your efforts to get it back to spec and hearing about how you (and the Mrs) like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    10K? Barely broken in! Good luck with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    That was a good decision! One look - in love - bought - happy. That's exactly how it should be! We all live only once (at least in my world!). I am looking forward to see the outcome of your technical skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting this thing back to the way it's supposed to look.

Alright… 1st question- What are these for?

2 dangly terminal looking things on the right side of the bike just behind the cylinders.

0-2.jpeg

0-1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arnie

Arnie Active Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Blackpool
    Is that a crack in the casing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

…. Scratch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Still need to know what these things are. I've still not a clue. They definitely clip to something. Anyone?

0-2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nice buy Golgotha I am pretty sure those plugs are used by the dealer when setting the bike up and tuning.
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Tom Robinson

Tom Robinson New Member

Mar 3, 2022
    Dunedin New Zealand
    Technical Question Please.
    I have just purchased a Triumph Speedster 2005. I have heard that there may be a fault with these twin engines around the clutch. I read a review about a number of Triumph bike engines, someone said the if you catch the starter clutch just right, it recoils and smacks into the case and brakes its mounting point, making the starter useless. The same person said that Triumph decided to warranty the bikes whether they had existing warranty or not. They also said they worked at a triumph franchise in USA and saw 6 other Triumph bikes that the same issue happened with. He said the only solution was to pull the motor out and and completely take it apart and replace the case with Triumph's new 'reinforced case'. Has anyone else heard of this issue?

Many Thanks Tom

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Hi Tom,
    Sorry I can't help with your query. But I think you would be better to start a new thread in the technical section for any answers. Your post is a bit buried in this section and unlikely to be seen by anyone who can help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1