'04 Bonnie (carbs) Airbox Query

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by T0pcat, Jun 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    I'm re-commisioning my 2004 T100. Opened the airbox to check the filter and found it had around 1/4 pint of (clean) oil in the base. Is this normal? The handbook doesn't mention it. If not. where did it come from? The sponge rubber seal on the air filter had perished so a new one is coming. The book's been OTR for over four years.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    No that's not normal. There is a breather pipe from engine casing to the bottom of the air box . that oil is there most likely because the engine was severely over filled or the check valve stuck solid for a while .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    I guessed it wasn't normal, a lot of older bikes had "wet" filters as does my boat engine but even then there's not a lot of free oil in the airbag. Something else to check out. I hope the check valve isn't buried inside the engine casings. Thanks for the tip.

4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Another thing to consider. Has the bike been layed on it's side recently ? ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just remember on your engine that both pistons rise and fall together. The crankcase is vented to allow air out and keep oil in but one of the determinants of oil capacity is the difference between blow and spit. Overfilling will produce the exactveffect you describe. The clue is that the oil is clean .......

• Like Like x 1
  6. T0pcat

T0pcat Member

Oct 24, 2018
    UK
    The closest the bikes been to "on its side" is "on its side stand".

My guess is either that I didn't drain all the oil on the last oil change, or that because I put in the full capacity before turning the engine over, some got pumped out of the breather before the filter and/or cooler was re-filled by the oil pump.

Got my wheels back from the tyre fitter today and picked up the brake parts yesterday so it's time to put the old girl back on her wheels and down to the MoT station. I'm giving myself a fortnight to sort everything, hoping to get back on the road by 1st July.

I noticed someone has the Haynes Manual. I've got the official "Workshop" manual. I rather think the Haynes one might be more informative.

• Like Like x 1