03 Speedmaster Ramdom Firing Problem

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Patman, Oct 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Good morning and welcome in.

I recently had this problem with my 06 Scrambler. It turned out to be a loose plug wire connection on one ignition coil.

I was about to begin to look elsewhere, until I backed up and started at the beginning. I even got a new pair of plugs out of the whole adventure. Good luck and don't forget to "kiss"!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    These things are invariably solved by eliminating what it can’t be.....

Going back to first principles you describe a bike which has had its wiring and fuses comprehensively checked. It turns over but does not start or cuts out while running? The starter circuit would therefore seem to be ok. You press the button and it turns over consistently? That would rule out clutch switch, sidestand and gearbox lockout switches plus the starter relay and dodgy fuses or a poor earth (but slacken, wiggle and re-tighten because it never hurts. The strap bolts to a stud on the underside of the engine just in front of the swing arm.)
    .......which brings you to an intermittent problem in the ignition circuit. I simply mean the coils being energised by 12v from the battery and having their power cut to induce a spark. A misfire would suggest a coil but both coils dead? Unlikely. You have replaced the most likely culprit, the pick up coil. It is not unknown for a duff one to be sold as new stock but unlikely. The igniter itself can only be thoroughly tested by substitution but a nil output voltage test to the coils is conclusive of igniter failure although a positive result could disguise a problem on the voltage switching side.

Anyone local to you with a carbed Speedy? If yours is playing dead switching igniters will provide immediate proof if yours then fires up. It is a 10 min job......nor will it hurt the ‘volunteer’ igniter.

You can then buy a replacement with confidence.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Patman

Patman New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Uk
    Not home till November now... Will keep you posted though.... Hopefully with "she's running"
    Thanks Callumity and everyone else

4. Patman

Patman New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Uk
    #24 Patman, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Ok got home a couple of days ago. Had another fiddle and pole at everything and still nothing. Don't have a voltage tester or know howto use them (yet) so decided to just but a new igniter as its the only thing i haven't changed/tested.......

Tank off, stuck it on fired up straight away!! :)
    60 mile ride and not a hiccup and even had a bit of sun!

Big thanks for everyone's input (even those of you that kept telling me to check cables and connection :p like none of us do that first anyways lol)
    And thanks to Callumity you were great!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Patman

Patman New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Uk

20181106_152715.jpg

• Like Like x 2