Zero miles on first service

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Madmedic73, Dec 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    Hi, apologise if this is seen twice as asked the question on another site but here goes,
    First service with no miles on the bike! Help!

Hi, I've just bought a new speed triple, it's a old/new stock so a 2015 model on a 2016 plate....here is the trouble, I've recently become ill and won't be able to ride for the next few months so having the bike delivered with just the pdi miles on it. However I'm being told it needs to go back for its 500 miles/ 1 month service..which doesn't appear to be flexible in any way !!! I've explained the situation to the dealer but nothing resolved as yet. If I'm right in thinking they put a different oil in the bike for the first 500 miles to help with the seals, rings etc and then fully synthetic from then on... So I'll be taking it back with zero miles on, paying £70 to have the oil changed? So which oil is required? Fully synthetic or breaking in oil? I would say breaking in oil but that means I will have to take it back in 500 miles and pay £200 for another service! Seems daft to me! Any thoughts?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    can you not lift the rear wheel and run it for an hour or so a day going through the gears, although not under load at least it will be using bits and circulating the oil, as a last resort of course. Or get a mate to run it in, I did that for a guy who got a ban just before his new bike was delivered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, I do not believe for one second that Triumph or the dealer can force you - legally - to have this service done on the terms they are saying - just rubbish.

If I were you I would write a letter to the dealer service manager and basically tell them, in polite terms of course, to get stuffed and stop being so stupid. You've got health issues mate, you don't need this kind of shit !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    FYI, I bought my Thruxton four months old from a dealer with 35 miles already on it, the dealer didn't do the 500 service because it hadn't done the mileage. Once I'd clocked the mileage upto 560 I put it in for its 1st service (five months old)
    I was informed that the next service the 12 month service HAD to be done on time to keep the warranty even if the mileage wasn't up.

5. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    Hi there, sorry to hear of your situation and I hope you have a speedy recovery. I don't know what to suggest with regards to the running in period apart from you could always give me the bike for a month I really don't mind:-D

6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    As suggested contact Triumph I would imagine they will not be impressed with this dealer.
    As to doing the 500 mile service on a bike with only the pre delivery miles on it that doesn't make sense at all.

7. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    Hey, thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated and it's good to know it's not just me that thinks it's unexceptable. Apparently is actual triumph themselves that insist a service is done with 1 month or 500 miles whichever comes first..and if it isn't done it invalidates your 2 year warranty for any claims! I will call triumph direct tomorrow, thanks for the number "dozers dad" I did write a rather stern email to the dealers today so also waiting on their reply..

8. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    I'm also pretty annoyed with myself as I bought 2 speed triples (one for a friend) from this actual dealer in 2009, paid cash and the service was shocking, terrible attitude and everything was a hassle and inconvenient. One of the bikes I bought had a few problems and getting them sorted was so frustrating. In the end I got so fed up I had the faults fixed and sold the bike at a loss...it took all the pleasure out of owning a new bike!

But stupidly I saw this one for sale, the only one at this price and spec so I bought it, again paid cash and so far it's not been great....I won't dirty the name of the dealer in case they pull everything out the bag, but being fully paid and four weeks in and no sign of the bike yet, I'm 99% sure they won't!!

9. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    Thank you and that's a very kind offer ...

10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I bought a new 2002 Daytona CE in November that year. After a couple of weeks and a couple of hundred miles, the roads were given a large dose of salt as the temperatures dropped. I decided to take the bike off the road for the winter. I rang Triumph and explained the situation to them, i.e. 500 miles in the first month was not going to happen. They told me to tell the supplying dealer and see if they were happy to deal with the bike at 500 miles even though more than a month had elapsed. If the dealer was happy then Triumph would honour the warranty. Triumph did stress that the running in oil must not be changed before 500 miles was reached.
    Dealer was happy, I was happy, Triumph was happy!:)
    However, attitudes may have changed since 2002.

11. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    Hi, just checked my emails and received one from the guy at the dealers. Looks like triumph will keep the warranty valid if I have the bike done at 500 miles and will waver the one month policy, which for me is great news, obviously I've asked for this in writing just in case they try and reject a warranty claim at a later date..

• Like Like x 6
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That's great news Mm, now just concentrate on getting fully fit for Spring bike riding :):):)

13. Abcght100

Abcght100 Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Norfolk
    Which dealership did you use if you don't mind saying?

14. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    #14 Thruccyboy, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Sorry to come into this late & I know it`s been resolved now but I agree it is a load of old [email protected] dealers pre register their bikes (I guess to make their sales look better)....How do they get on with the 500 mile rule????
    & any time I have had a warranty claim against triumph they have always wormed their way out of it.
    In 2004 I brought a 955 RS Sprint. Within 2 weeks the paint around the fuel cap filler was coming off around the lip where you put the nozzle in.
    Despite pictures & several letters including one to John Bloor (which I doubt ever reached him) Triumph said it was customer neglect. So I pay over £6000 for a bike then scratch the fuel cap filler constantly when filling...obviously it was me...NOT!
    Triumph refused to pay for it or replace it & even as recently as yesterday some 12 years on when I was in my local dealership a Trophy had exactly the same fault & it was only a year old, clearly there is a fault with the paint on some Triumph fuel caps yet still they churn them out without listening to their customers....Rant over!!!
    PS..... Get better soon matey;)

15. Madmedic73

Madmedic73 New Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Beccles
    Hi, I know they are a nightmare from the last two bikes I bought from the very same dealer! One of the faults was the paint started peeling off the rear shock and not just little bits, big chunks of it, the bike had under 100 miles on it and they still refused to replace or repair! The tank rubbers fell out on a ride, the horn stopped working and when I took one of the mirrors off there was rust inside. This was all before the first service so less that 500 miles but again they refused to sort it...so as I said I did the work myself and sold it at a loss..i must be nuts getting the same bike from the same dealers but I really like the triple and hoped attitudes would have changed after 7 years!

16. DreadySteve

DreadySteve Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Bournemouth
    Hi and welcome to the forum/madhouse. Sounds like you have sorted the bike issues now. Hope you can sort your health issues just as quick and get riding soon. :)

ATB

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That is good news mate - when I got my new Tiger earlier this year there was no mention of the one month period or 500 miles before the first service - was just told not to go over the 500 miles. My mate (who can be a bit of a tw*t at times took his new Explorer in at 750 miles for the 500 miler and got away with it!

18. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    So if an issue such as the fuel leak from the tank comes up that commands a recall under warranty, they wont repair it because you didnt have your oil changed at 500 miles!
    That would be absolutely unacceptable

19. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Just for the record be aware that you only get "free" labour on the 500 mile service if you take it back to the dealer you purchased it from. Apparently (I'm told) the labour cost is paid by Triumph to the dealer when they take delivery of the bike.
    I bought my '94R from Woods in N.Wales (also a Ducati dealer) because I was trading in my Multistrada which non Ducati dealers avoid like the plague. Living in W.Cornwall I had the 500 service at Triumph-Plymouth "sorry you've got to pay labour 'cos we didn't sell you the bike". Complained to Woods (they didn't warn me of this), totally disinterested. :rolleyes::mad:

20. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Well that's what I thought, Youles were going to charge me for the labour on my 500 mile service and also wouldn't offer discount if I supplied my own oil!! excuse being it's a fixed package price. Anyway I went to Bill Smiths in Chester and they offered discount if I supplied my own oil, also didn't charge me labour. Great service and will be using them all the time now. I bought the bike from Hughenden M40.