Zappa

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Octoberon, Nov 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've just been reading about the documentary by Alex Winter (of Bill & Ted fame) that explores the life of Frank Zappa. I believe it's out in the States this weekend. Looking forward to finding it somewhere over here. Like him or loathe him, he was a remarkable talent. I've been a fan since the 80s when I first heard Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch.

This is the trailer.

There's also an interview with Alex on AllMusic for anyone interested: https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/alex-winter-zappa-interview

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Peaches en regalia was about as much as I could endure! It always amused me that The Turtles (Happy Together, Elenore) were part of the Mother’s dna. That and the story some record executive suggested something upbeat with lyrics like ‘you’re my pride and joy etcetera’ so they used it verbatim as a p*** take. About a minute in!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I'm so gutted Frank never got to stand for president (as was his intention). A true artist.

Although he churned out some unlistenable wank in among the diamonds.
    But a bloody genius, funny, angry, impassioned bloke.
    Love Zappa

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thc

thc New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Sussex
    I take great exception to this statement...but agree vehemently & wholeheartedly with everything else you said :)

I for one can't wait to see it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'm not sure how far he's have gotten with his run for president but it would have been entertaining to see the establishment deal with him.

Some of his work is quite impenetrable but he remains a genius in my view.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Happy Days Autumn 1968 as an 18year old:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Still listen to his stuff definitely a one off musical talent love some of his lyrics.....like Cosmic debris, dont eat the yellow snow and the torture never stops.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Susie? Susie Cream cheese?
    This is the voice of your conscience.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Windy

Windy First Class Member

Aug 16, 2019
    Shropshire
    #9 Windy, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    I quite like some of his stuff, wife did not:confused:. All my cassette tapes wentmissing after we got married. Cassette tapes bring back a few memories and not all good:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I tried several times to get into his music but never could. There was the odd bit that I liked, about 0.001 %

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    It's a love/hate thing with Zappa. It also depends on what you've heard. Albums of jazz orchestra or 25 minute guitar noodling are probably not a good entry point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Here's a question for anyone following this thread - what Zappa (or Mothers') song would you suggest as a good starting point for someone new to Frank's music?

I was tempted to say Whippin' Post from Them Or Us, but that's just a good version of an Allman Brothers song. So I'll suggest Doreen from You Are What You Is. Nothing is going to be completely representational as the catalogue is too varied but one this shouldn't immediately put off your average rock fan at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Tracks from joes garage or you what you is. Great humour in the lyrics

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Yeah, I thought about those as well. If this was more of a Country & Western audience I would have gone for this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Looks like a good one. I like watching music documentaries even if I'm not a huge fan of the artists. Like a lot of people, I like some of his stuff but most of it is just too . . . not something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I'm not a Zappa completist but there's nothing challenging about Hot Rats. My standout track is Willie the Pimp but the whole album is a gem.
    And devoid of wankery. ;)

I know it's a bit ubiquitous but sometimes the popular album is the best.

I love Jazz and if I wanted to give someone a primer album it's 'Kind of Blue'. Not a note has tarnished since Freddy Freeloader was first aired.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Miles Davis? Excellent music to clean the bike to - Chet Bakers pretty good too!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    Don't tempt me to derail. ;) Miles is a fascinating musician. Only saw him live once in the early 80's on the TUTU tour. Deserves every single plaudit of genius he gets thrown.

Chet is one sad story. His 'Valentine' is one of the most melancholy renditions of that standard. There's a painful anecdote in John Cooper Clarke's recent bio that when JCC was living with Nico in London, both barely functioning addicts, they went on a 'recreational' trip to Amsterdam. Nico needed to score and met a shambling wreck in a backstreet. JCC only later found out it was Chet Baker.
    If you like Chet's sound check out Gerry Mulligan. There's an album with Ben Webster (yep, from Kind of Blue) whitch is perfect Sunday bliss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Great story, and I’m envious you saw Miles Davis! That must have been something else!

Valentine was the track that hooked me onto Chet Baker - he’s one of those guys whose music you hear a lot in the background and it’s only when you have a chance to actually listen without any distractions that the raw emotion comes out - he had a tough life...
    saw a good film/bio on him a couple of months ago ‘Born to be Blue’ worth a look if you haven’t seen it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Hilarious... but what a bass tone? Entry point 1

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1