You're Never Really Alone When You Ride A Bike...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Smilinjack, Mar 31, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Yesterday I spotted a broken down bike in a pretty exposed location approaching the brow of a hill. It was an old Suzuki Savage, quite a rare thing to see. Anyhow, turned back, parked behind him, hazards on, and helped him push the bike to the top of the hill where there was a layby. At the same time, another chap turned around and dropped in behind us with his hazards on to cover us from approaching traffic. We had a bit of a committee meeting but couldn't fix it-not least because the starter motor wasn't turning the engine. He messaged his mate who arranged to collect him in his van. It was just nice to be reminded once more that bikers remain, in my view, knights of the road. :)

• Like Like x 16
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Well done Alan, always feels good to HAFB (help a fellow biker):cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    nice, not many people will stop these days

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've stopped three times in the past few years - not able to fix any of them but always stayed and chatted until help arrived. Had to help push a Pan European with a puncture away from a busy junction - heavy bugger! (one was a split crankcase caused by the chain shearing) but I waited for his mates to turn up ( and take the piss as it turned out) :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Good man. Bikers really need to look out for one another.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    A couple of us were stopped one day fixing a friends puncture, guy in a car stopped to see if we needed help, nice chap, rode a GS too he was telling us. Also in Spain after a bit of a luggage malfunction (dragged my bag a mile or so behind me) a guy in a van stopped. Bikers are the best people!

• Like Like x 2
  7. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Just saw a guy whose Bandit was broken down at the traffic lights while I was driving. Pulled over to see if he needed anything but all sorted. He was appreciative that I took time to pull over. Took my inspiration from Alan!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You sure it was a Harley? ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Lovely stories and yes it just emphasises that bikers are a great bunch .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I remember breaking down with a flat my first Fireblade on the outskirts of Chapel-en-le-Frith back in '93. Got passed by plenty of bikes but no one stopped. Ended up crawling along in first gear in the gutter for around a mile or so to the nearest telephone kiosk and waiting nearly 2 hours for the AA who managed to plug the tyre well enough to get home. Thinking about it afterwrds I decided to buy one of the tubless tyre plugging kits, carry it with me every time I went out and if I ever came across anyone with a flat, STOP AND HELP THEM!
    I also carry a small fuel flask in in a back pack when out on the dirt bike after once running out. I'd had the tank off during a service and forgot to reconnect the low fuel light! It may be comparatively light at @110kg but it takes some shovin' on the flat with knobblies on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    When I was but a 16 year-old oik on a crappy Honda SS50, a bloke on a proper big bike stopped for me when I’d broken down. Even a scrawny teenager on a moped was still a biker to him. That set the standard for me and ever since I’ve always stopped to see if I can help someone who looks stranded, even if I’m in the car.
    It’s not so much of a problem these days with mobile phones being ubiquitous but the biker’s code remains, and that’s what counts.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Mobile phones have been a game changer. Still always check though.

My favourite was years ago and seeing young Nicole Kidman stranded at the side of the rode on her KH125. (Only one of these is a fact ... rose-tinted 'hingies etc.)

She had not known what a reserve tap was and drained the battery from trying to get it started. Bumped it and gave it back and rode away feelin' like a fkn ROCKSTAR! (And knew she had learnt the code.)

• Like Like x 1