Your never too old ...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tigerted, May 26, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tigerted

tigerted Member

May 9, 2016
    eastbourne
    Evening all as Dixon of Dock Green use to say. For all you youngsters ask your parents or grandparents and they will explain that one.
    Because the weather was so good today I went out on the bike and it enabled me to test my new Arai TT helmet, no new bike for me this year then.
    Its a great helmet and its the first time I have tried a dark visor and it was a revelation to me as no problem from the sun at all. Not sure about its legality so I carried a clear visor in my top box just in case I got pulled. So that's the first part of my story but I think the second part is better.
    I decided to ride over to a local motorbike shop just to have a browse because as I said swmbo will not hear of me changing my bike. Honestly its like being back at school. She's already forgotten that over forty years ago I brought her a nice white dress.
    Anyway after a browse I came out and got chatting to a fella getting his bike serviced which was a great encounter as he had raced the TT which made for an interesting chat.
    But it got even better for me because as we were chatting a smart well spoken fella interrupted us and asked about my bike.
    He was amazed at the size of it and related how in his day they were so much smaller. He then went on to say that even though he had not ridden a motorbike for over 35 years he was thinking of buying one again just to potter around on. His actual words were " I,m not getting any younger and I would rather spend my money than someone p**s it up the wall ".
    And the best part of the story is that he is 83 and although his wife thinks he is mad he is going to buy one which will probably be a Royal Enfield.
    Being 65 it made me realise that with a bit of luck I still have a good few years of riding ahead of me. So all in all a great day.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I remember z cars as well. :D

3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    and the spin off Softly Softly:)

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Maybe that's what the missus is hoping for and maybe more

• Like Like x 1
  5. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Tigerted I made that same mistake all them years ago and still getting punished for it:eek:

6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Good luck to the guy.

7. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Z cars - pah, I remember Fireball XL5

• Like Like x 3
  8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Was that a Riot?;)

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    By Jove but that takes me back. Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Troy Tempest, Stingray, Captain Scarlet - there was a time when Gerry and Silvia Anderson ruled the world - well nearly.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    don't remember that one i must be too young!..bit of trivia for you Don Spencer who sung the theme tune to it,his daughter married Russel Crowe

• Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Stingray for me, although all the acting was a bit wooden!
    I remember I was in love with Marina, I would have loved to have given her a splinter or 2 at the time!!
    She wouldn't have told any one either, no strings attached, ha ha!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    A babe no doubt.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #13 Havit, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Nagh, for me it was Lady Penelope ( so good i named my bike after her) funny thing is they are so alike.........both are high maintenance!!! :D:D. I always thought there was somthing fishy about Marina . :D:D
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I cant remember any but (possibly) Troy from XL5, oh, and Mitch the Monkey.

15. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Yous lot have forgotten the original Gerry Anderson greats such as Super Car and Four Feather Falls

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Don't remember Super Car but do remember Four Feather Falls.

17. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I vaguely remember Super Car but none of the characters, was that Troy Tempest?
    Four Feather Fools was great, on our Murphy tele with the top flap that turned it on and the volume, vertical and horizontal hold were under it!
    Earlier than that, Muriel Young with Muffin the Mule. (They made it illegal later).
    Oh, and Captain Pugwash, but there was never a character called Seamen Stains, that's just myth.

18. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

What about Noggin the Nog, (that's illegal now too), and, Bleep and Booster as seen on Blue Peter

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i used to like the robot in "Lost In Space"..i think he was called Robot!

20. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Very vaguely Noggin, but I had a Hopalong Cassidy watch!!
    Got it wet at Thorney Bay beach, Canvey and it stopped! BoooHoo!