You Just Couldn’t Leave It Alone, Could You?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Simon P, Mar 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Simon P

Simon P Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    What’s happening here then?

5F22A43A-C283-4DB1-86B9-27411BCFD19F.jpeg

2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
  3. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    I’m loving the motor, so much punch out of corners and the quick shift is really smooth too. Gearing is spot on for road use. Have set sag and softened up damping but still bouncing off the bumps, probably because I’m quite light at 71kg; will have a chat with an expert, maybe spring and/or revalve adjustment needed. That’s my only grumble really, otherwise it’s a blast! Especially on smooth roads...

• Like Like x 3
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Awesome :p. I’m really having a hard time waiting to ride mine for the first time. Sounds like a rebound issue to me, as well as the 34/100 shock spring. I’m roughly 81 kg and with the 34/100 shock spring I can set sag to 40mm, but there are almost no turns left on the adjustment rings. So it’s probably too firm for your weight. But you should still be able to control the rebound though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    I got my total rear sag down to 35mm by winding out 1 1/2 turns of preload, front I seem to move between 41mm and 39mm no matter what I do

6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    35 should be fine. How were the rebound settings?

7. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    They were standard but have come out by about four clicks, also softened compression quite a bit. I’m almost out of compression adjustment now, but still have some rebound. Next ride I might back off both all the way and then tighten up one at a time to see what happens. If that doesn’t work I might be booking some new springs

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    If you are backing out the rebound you will induce more “bounce” as you are increasing oil flow. Turn it in more to control the bounce, but make sure you have equal rebound settings front and back. To soften the ride turn out the compression. Just my 2 pennies ;).

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    I think compression is more the issue as we are crashing into bumps?

10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup, could be. Put a zip tie around a front fork to see if you are blowing through all the travel. Sounds like you got it under control though. Good luck and let me know how you get the suspension sorted, and enjoy that gorgeous bike.

11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup, could be. Put a zip tie around a front fork to see if you are blowing through all the travel. Sounds like you got it under control though. Good luck and let me know how you get the suspension sorted, and enjoy that gorgeous bike.

12. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    Have the zip tie on, not quite using all of it, will try to get some help with setup I think. Otherwise it’s great fun, really a blast to ride. And that’s coming from a 1290 Superduke, which had a mental engine that dare I say it was sometimes a bit much on the road, and felt really tall in the twisties; the Speedie is much easier to chuck around and feels more stable in the bends

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nice to hear a comparison between both bikes. How much torque does the speed give up to the Duke?

14. Simon P

Dec 19, 2018
    New Zealand
    A fair bit but the Speedie is much lower geared plus on the Duke it’s so violent you hardly ever crack the throttle hard unless upright. Speed is much more useable if that makes sense

• Like Like x 1