Yank Cheap Sports Car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old phart phred, Dec 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    So the riding season has ended, was bored so googled "best cheap sports cars" to have fun with when it's cold, wet, extremely windy, etc. All the usual suspects came up but one of the better ranked cars was a Chrysler Crossfire. WTF. I had seen a few over the years roaming the streets hauling Grandpa to the golf course and thought they looked great. So more research to find out they are built in the Karmann factory in Germany, using all MBZ 320SLK components. The only thing American is the sexy/controversial body design.

Friday i got a wild hair and bought a 05 crossfire with only 75 k miles on it for a toy for $7k. It was freaking awesome when I test drove it in W mode, which I learned was winter/wet limited power mode. Yesterday with the help of the crossfire forum I was able to get up to full power, I think with 91 octane fuel and other user settings not well documented. Tires aren't the best, but it still corners on rails when in tight off camber switchbacks. Woo hoo is an understatement. It kicks ass in the corners, straight line acceleration is quite impressive with only 215 naturally aspirated hp but 230 ft/lb or torque for a 3000 lb car. Sure there are rice burners out there that can smoke it in a straight line. Should run strong technical autocross/Hill climb events. Can anbody recommend a good grin remover? Maybe a few cheap hp still hiding is this powerplant yet, but most modern cars/bikes are in a high state of tune.
    Snow for the next couple of days so pics to follow.

IMG_20191213_155944103.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Bump

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:joy: Bump already :joy:
    You’ve no patience mate this side of the pond is mostly still asleep when you posted :confused:
    Cool car though :cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Cool? In the snow maybe......

The Crossfire always had an image problem in Europe. Its mechanicals are solid but old school (vague recirculating ball steering rack strong but truck like) and the styling becomes an issue when you try to reverse. It’s just not an ideal vehicle for narrow lanes or our supermarket car parks. With US roads/fuel prices a good used one makes a lot of sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I remember it being referred to as looking like a dog with worms, trying to scratch its arse on the carpet !!!

upload_2019-12-16_9-15-50.png upload_2019-12-16_9-15-12.png

Probably an undeserved comparison. I'm all for getting something that is not well loved and generally appreciated, you usually get more bangs for your buck.:cool:

upload_2019-12-16_9-14-18.png

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Always fancied one of these, need to wait til I get rid of Mrs Repooh as she thinks its tacky, me I think its a beauty, 1950 3100, although a V8 Land Rover Defender is also on the list, along with Siena Miller and a barn conversion in the Cotswolds. I'm a man of simple tastes

upload_2019-12-16_9-54-6.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I was posting on my smart phone, sometimes it works other times its like wtf is it doing now. hence the bump to see if it would show up. I normally have to go outside to get a strong enough signal to do an attachment. Cellphone service west of the Mississippi river is pretty hit and miss.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    "I remember it being referred to as looking like a dog with worms, trying to scratch its arse on the carpet" LOL I read that also but did not make the connection until you posted the dog pic. Bingo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I found the steering quick enough for a series of quick switchback corners, but as you say not a lot of feedback, and yes rearward vision is limited, may add camera as they are getting pretty cheap. Daily driver is a company truck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Here in the western U.S. I really haven't seen that many Crossfire's. I think they had a bit of an image problem here as well. I gave up on trying to keep an american car running years ago. Being it is MB based, it MIGHT fair a bit better. You'll have to be the judge of that as time goes by. I currently have a Volvo, a Nissan, and a Mitsubishi. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    If you want more performance and better handling, there was a Crossfire SRT-6 that used the 330bhp blown V6 and running gear from the Mercedes SLK 32 AMG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    STD crossfire uses all the running gear from the mbz 320slk. This afternoon I took it for run down some recommended twisty fun bike roads about 50 miles away. Had a great time even though it was only 45 f. outside. These are all rural two lane highway paved roads thru farmland, and since harvest is long over, with debris and farm machinery is absent now, only seen about a dozen other cars in about 100 miles. Lots of posted 25-45 mph corners of all sorts of camber and radius changes. Had an awesome time, and the crossfire handled as if on rails even with mediocre tires which will be replaced soon. Most of the afternoon was spent running at 80-90 mph. Hit 130 on a clear stretch of road, and it was still accelerating well. Only one butt pucker moment, but car tracked great. Whoo rahs and yeah babies flowed. I love this "wolf in sheep's clothing" with great usable powerband.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #13 Wire-Wheels, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Agree. Upgrading tires is.a must. The things that pass for tires out there can be scary. On my Mitsubishi I went with some sticky Dunlops. 5% lower on the aspect ratio and 10mm wider than stock. I mounted them on some 17"X 8.5" lightweight wheels. BIG difference ! My car had been my.commuter before I retired,. so the struts were pretty pounded. I switched them out for some KONI adjustable replacements. I.kept the stcok springs. Being that my car is a front wheel drive, I stiffened the roll resistance in the rear by adding a fat aftermarket swaybar and left the front bar stock. This improved it's front grip by keeping the inside front tire from lifting in tight turns [ a bad habit these cars had stock]. With a bit of playing around you can turn a mild mannered "secretary's car" in to a litlle terror. Mine still looks pretty much the same as the day it was new except for.the wheels. It rides a bit stiff, but it is capable of things you should not be doing on a public highway ;) …J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I'm afraid there's only one Yank I'd even contemplate owning..........
    Le-Mans-icon-Ford-GT40.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Yep, there's a gulf gt-40 and a gulf 917 that roams the local streets near my house. Oh yeah and a yet identified newish McLaren I will have to get some pics

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    SOMEONE in that neighborhood has some money ! Us common folk have to play with the toys we can afford :( … J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Yah, lawyers. JD you know I don't make sqaut being a HVAC systems engineer, all the building $$$$$$$ buget goes to granite countertops, fancy restrooms, and other visual BLING.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #18 Wire-Wheels, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Know what that is like. I worked in the big bucks office buildings doing mechanical maintenance. The "bean counters" would cough up $10,000 for a new piece of artwork for the lobby, while us engineers were keeping 20-30'year old chillers, boilers and pumps running in the basement. These days I am a retiree living on a pension, so my fun has to be budgeted. As of yesterday, I have survived retirement for 11 years :D. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    What does a 15 year old cheap sports car engine bay look like

1578026502556773339427.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019