Wwii Replica Goggles

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by JD_Lincs, Aug 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    ***the title should read "WWII..." but this stooopid software keeps changing it, like those godawful text predictors on phones

I've had these on my wishlist for a year or more, so when I got the new Trumpet I decided these would be great to wear with it, on an open face lid.

When they arrived they didn't look quite the same as they do in the picture - and the description changed during my order process - weird, that! They used to be described as "WWII Spitfire Pilot Replica Goggles".
    Not that it would make much difference as the goggles would have been the same, regardless of which aircraft was being flown - standard issue.

https://www.rafmuseumshop.com/goggles.html

The ones that arrived came in a very cheap-looking, flimsy box and the goggles were all black - but to my surprise, they actually work very well on the bike, and look the part.

All I need now is a handlebar 'tache! Mind you, maybe I can audition for a part in Wallace & Gromit?

(edit - I'd like to add that I normally wear a neck tube up to the goggles on the bike)

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    What ho Biggles!! Are the lenses strong enough to be impact resistant??

That would be my only concern, the good old Stadium Mark 9 goggles have decent tough lenses and are not much dearer

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Genuine goggles had flat/split optical glass lenses. Your moulded polycarbonate jobbies were a 50s invention! However, on a bike you are less worried about refraction through the canopy! Tally Ho!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    #5 JD_Lincs, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Oh I like those Halcyon ones - might have to think about grabbing a pair. Have to wait, though - if I don't stop spending on the bike soon, I'm going to find myself single again! Just spent another £220 at Sportsbikeshop this morning - Dainese aero-tex jacket on the way!

Yeah, they aren't very tough, being mantlepiece jobs - but better than a pair of shades, that's for sure.

That helmet came with its own goggles, but they are really rubbish - poor quality, uncomfy and view restricting. The helmet itself is one of the comfiest I've ever worn.

edit - just taking a closer look at the Halcyon ones - these:

https://classicpartsltd.com/black-mark-49-halcyon-goggles.html

They look exactly like the ones in the picture from the museum when I ordered.

They are two angled flat bits in the photo - but they aren't when they are delivered!

*I've just sent a complaint to the shop - though I won't return them, it being a museum and all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    As long as he hasn't snitched a parcel, sausage-end and gone goose over stump frog side!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Charlie Watts

Charlie Watts New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Somerset UK
    Only just seen this.
    I have a Bell 500 lid and there isn't much room from my eyebrows to the front/ bottom of the lid and though the Halcyon ones were what I was after they sat too low and a, started to push into my eyes or b, stopped me breathing through my nose. I then got some Davida ones and they were the same.
    I ended up getting thin framed Bolle safety glasses, not what I wanted but made me feel that my peepers were protected when wearing the Bell lid.
    As a footnote I had a bee hit me yesterday square on the left lens of the glasses at about 60 mph, stopped cleaned it off and away i went.
    Trev.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I still have a pair of the original Stadium mk9 goggles...elastic strap has gone and a bit of minor rust but still functional dont wear them but kind of interesting and nostalgic.

• Like Like x 2