Wtf Is This???

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Shaun Lee, Jun 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    OK, so I have been recommissioning my 2002 Speed Triple and the bike was running well, had to change a sensor out but nothing major.. So after a hot ride out yesterday I stopped the bike and liquid started hissing away at the top of the engine and leaking onto the floor.. first thought was head gasket, but it was too high up for that... anyway it stopped quickly and not a lot of it actually came out, it was blue coolant. So today I decided to top up the coolant but could not find the top up reservoir... should be under the seat.. nope.. so I followed the small hose from the radiator cap flange which should go back to the expansion tank... but it goes to this strange metal canister which looks like an emission filter or such?? And the other small hose from the canister was just sitting under the tank waiting to pour all over my engine, then freshly painted garage floor.. does anybody know what this is?? Its definitively not an expansion tank and my bike is missing one.. also where does the other hose go to that would be on the expansion tank?? Help appreciated as ever!!

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7774.jpg

2. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    It looks a bit home made to me.
    I don't know that much about it, but when people run there bikes with waterless coolant, they adapt there system.
    Maybe this is a replacement for an expansion bottle.
    Try and find a parts diagram for your bike.

3. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Thanks, its definitely not a standard part, I have ordered a standard expansion tank and will swap it out!!

• Like Like x 1