WSB Rules for 2017

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Col_C, Dec 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Anybody seen the new rules for race 2 grid positions.
    Here
    Aaaahhh!
    My head hurts.
    I think Dorna's lost it. :eek:

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i thought it was a wind up when i first heard it:confused:,i guess they just want the best riders to have to do more overtaking to get to the front:rolleyes:

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The general ideas good but they badly need to simplify it.

Why not just reverse the race 1 finishing positions ?
    So if a fast rider falls off or has an issue in race 1, they'll (hopefully) do better in the second race.
    It'd possibly have a knock on effect of keeping the championship point differences a bit tighter as well :)

4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    What a loaded of bollocks :eek: from ex riders and others who should know better.

One of the reasons for timed practice has always been safety, were riders of similar ability or on similar performance machines would be lining up along side each other.

Similarly in race2 riders of a similar ability or machinery would line up along side each other.

I think wsb had started to go down hill a few years ago and this rule change is a desperate attempt to try and generate interest.

Crazy :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yep, couldn't believe it (like Dougie, thought it was a wind-up), guess Dorna are pissed at the Brit domination at the moment. Don't think it will make any difference, 2 or 3 laps in and the usual suspects will be at the front.
    The BSB rule of 1st race results as grid for race 2 seems reasonable, but this is crazy......I'm still trying to work out what happens to the race 2 grid if a rider that qualified in the top 9 but finishes way down (or DNF's), where does he line up in race 2? Multiply that by several riders doing similar.....nightmare!
    ....My head hurts again. :D
    On a track that's difficult to pass on does a rider about to win drop back to 4th so he's on pole for race 2 (instead of 9th)
    o_O:)

(shades of Rea giving Sykes 2nd place in championship....don't get me started:rolleyes:)

6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #6 Col_C, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Just checked the stats.... (can you tell I'm bored, bikes tucked away for the winter).
    With the exception of Nicky Hayden's wet race win in Malaysia a Brit one every other race.
    Brits also covered 77% of all podium places.
    Did that feat get any news coverage, did it f@ck.

7. WesSmith

WesSmith Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Sounds familiar.....from British Touring Cars

• The grid for race three is based on finishing positions, however there is also a reversed-grid element to the starting order. Numbers representing the cars that finished from sixth to tenth position in race two are put into a bowl, and one number is drawn at random. The corresponding car will start on pole, with the cars that finished ahead of it reversed i.e. if number six is chosen, the car that finished sixth in race two will start from pole ahead of the car that finished fifth, fourth, third etc. The remainder of the grid follows as per the finishing order of race two

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    if you look in the racing section i have started a league for members on here in the MCN Fantasy Road Race, there is a link there to register and create your team and then you can apply to join my League (trumpets password is speed),First race of the season is this weekend it's a WSB round at Phillip Island:)

9. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Couldn't agree more. Clutching at straws to try and draw the crowds back.

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If anyone fancy's joining the Trumpets league can you let me know what your team name is so that i know it's someone on this forum that's wanting to join:)

11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    How many times do you reckon someone will be out of grid position in the first few meetings ? :D

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Well didn't make a lot of difference apart from Sykes maybe, both races were great:) really good to see that Melandri going good although unlucky this time, and what about that supersport race, winning by 0.001! they must have just picked a name out of a hat for that one!

• Like Like x 1
  13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Yup, good to see Lowes doing well also, 4th in both races and keeping up with the leaders :)
    Ryde was unlucky a couple of times in WSS, otherwise he could have been on the podium.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Definitely a better start than recent years although nothing to do with the new rules.

• Like Like x 2