wrong conti installation

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Bob On, Jan 14, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    To be honest, I'm feeling a bit of a nob. I had a guy install a new Conti TKC80 Twinduro on the front of my 800XC. I had ridden over 300km and at considerable speeds on asphalt and over some very rough terrain before I noticed that he had put it on the wrong way round. The tread on the Conti is symmetrical so I'm wondering if I should worry too much about it or should it be removed and turned. I can't tell the difference while on the road but since noticing it I'm conscious of it all the time. Is there a technical reason why the tyre should be turned or can it remain as it is? Is there a Conti tyre expert out there who can advise? I'm in a very remote mountainous region of Central Asia so jobs like changing a tyre can be quite onerous.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Just had a look at the Conti TKC80 and can not see a good reason why it would matter. If it was a sports tourer or sports tyre then I would swop it round. I personally would leave the tyre as is until it is next in the workshop for a service and get it done then. I should pint out I'm not an expert on tyres but do ride a Tiger 800 XC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    I'm with Richard on this one. I shouldn't have thought that it would make any difference. However if for peace of mind have it changed.

4. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    Thanks Richard and PJT for your responses. I was thinking along the same lines. Just not sure if the tyre compound has, for want of a better word, a grain which if run in the wrong direction would deteriorate or strip off. Having said that, I have put some Kms on the tyre without any obvious degradation so I'll monitor it closely. BTW Richard, if you know where I can locate a Triumph service centre, or any other service centre for that matter, in Central Asia, answers on a postcard LoL.... Cheers and again thanks for your responses and safe riding in 2015.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I would get it changed as soon as possible.

The reason being for this is if you had an accident the insurance company may make a bit of a issues with regards to the tyre not being fitted properly.

I would also say that the bloke who fitted it must also be a bit of a numbty as well :rolleyes:

6. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Scotland
    I would get it changed ASAP too. It may look OK the wrong way round but you just don't know how it's constructed. You're in a remote place so suggest you hang on and get it changed next time you're near a workshop that can do the job.

7. Bob On

Bob On Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Kenya
    Hi Folks, thanks for your responses. The bike is garaged for the winter right now but methinks in spring I'll take her nice and easy to Bishkek and have the tyre turned. The lad who put the tyre on is the only show in town and as they say, you can only urinate with the member you have. However, no excuse, I should have checked it before accepting. Another lesson learned. :redface:

• Like Like x 1