Would You Ride With A Rear Tyre Professionally Patched.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sprinter, May 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #1 Sprinter, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    I had a Tyre Fitter patch the smallest of holes (1mm ) right in the middle of the rear. Invisible to the naked eye and patched on the inside.
    This tyre has lots of wear left and was going to wear it out this Summer, with mixed riding motorway, back roads, and local.Its just started to square off.

Would you ride for a couple of thousand miles on this?

Or to put it another way Has anyone ever had or heard of a patch fail??

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Nope, never heard of one fail, and have ridden with one fitted, no problems. Really wouldn't worry me at all. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No problem with patches mate
    Used to work in a motorcycle workshop and fitted them all the time.....never failed

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just ride!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    A professional patch no problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Wot they all said!:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    I've only had a couple of punctures and both within 300 miles on a new tyre. Both of them I took off the wheel, put a patch on the inside, re-fitted the tyre and then ragged it til worn. Never had a problem or even lost pressure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Price of fecking tyres just patch them or plug them and RIDE EM

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    All the above.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

It sometimes amazes me, when a bunch of d0-lally halfwits, :p like you guys, actually all come together and agree on something sensible !!! Well Done.:kissing_heart:

When I saw this and replied, I was waiting for all the doomsayers to pop up and be all full of 'oh, not safe, tyres what keeps you safe, you'll probably die....:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

Makes me proud to be part of a group where sensibilities take precedence of eejits with mistaken beliefs, like wot you see on the idiot forums ( ie any GSXR forum).

God bless you all :heart::heart::heart::heart: I am proud to be a d0-lally halfwit with you :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

:heart: U 2 Andy ;)o_O

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Makes a change from the merchants of doom and nay Sayers.
    Prehaps if he had said just plug it rather than a professional plug then maybe we would have but we will never know now :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Long ago I would have said no way would I ride on a patched tyre, but on my commute to work on my GSXR I went through a stream of regular punctures, it got expensive to change tyres so I took the bike to a local bike workshop and had one patched one lunchtime. I rode on that tyre for weeks until it was just legal and needed to be changed. Now I have a different opinion of a patched/plugged repair. I guess things have come a long way with modern techniques of repairing tyres. So I say go for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I won't go near that "blue snot" it didn't stop a front wheel puncture on a Portuguese motorway and then it lubricated the "sticky string" repair that has worked many times before, had to get recovered and buy a new tyre. The next year a rear wheel puncture fifty miles east of Marrakesh fixed with "sticky string" rode it home to Northants and a couple of thousand miles further. I always carry a repair kit and a 12v pump.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    The tire was changed a couple of weeks ago,way past its best. the repair caused no issues, and I would not hesitate to do this again.I travelled 3000 miles on it no problem.
    Ive got more goop too, the whole time the repair was there the tire was full of goop, and when I got the tire removed I had a small green dot on the outside,that must have appeared within a few days,and the tire had good pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Thats the way to go for sure, every last mill top man sprinter

• Like Like x 2
  17. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Just as an aside on this. I carry on long trips a plugging kit and small compressor.
    I’ve always thought of those plugs as a temporary measure till you got somewhere you could get the tyre looked at.
    Better to plug it than be stranded in the middle of nowhere imv.
    I know the RAC/AA would plug your tyre at the roadside at one point but not sure if they still do.
    The compressor is just so that I don’t have to carry two millon of the small CO2 canisters that seem to be part of the kit.
    A couple of the crew at our last GMU used my compressor to pump their tyres up, can’t remember who but it’s a lovely small size.
    I keep the plugging kit in the compressor bag

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Ive got a repair kit and canisters.If I get 5 minutes when Im not spending on other stuff Id like a mini-compressor.

19. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    They're not expensive I’ve seen the RAC one for less than £20.
    Just can’t remember where

20. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk