Would you buy a cat D salvage bike ?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by wombal, Aug 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    Just thought about putting this up as I wouldn't mind getting some of your thoughts about this, as I was thinking of buying a cat D for an interest/ project/ hobby thing.
    And on the face of it seams like some real bargains to be had, has anybody on here done this type of thing and whats to look out for. ? I suppose its one of those situations that can go either way so would really appreciate my learned forum friends with any advice you have Thanks Best wishes to you all

2. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    Cheers for that !! Dozers Dad ! I would be looking for a second bike kind of thing not doing it for a return sort of thing but will look at it how you have explained now nice one !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    How do you know if the insurance company have went to the trouble/expence of checking the geometry or if the frame is bent?

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No Vic checks on bikes since 2015. Apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    Yeah I can see what you mean Dozers Dad ! for me its a hobby thing, so sounds like don't rule out cat "c" or "d" and just keep looking till the right one is on offer am already lovin this !!! cheers for your advice

• Like Like x 2
  6. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    Ok thanks Littleade ! will do that as soon as am set up !! ok cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well explained Jez

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Wombal, I personally these days would not buy a cat c/d car but on the other hand I would not bat an eyelid to buying a cat c/d bike as repairs on bikes differ generally from cars and you still can end up with a good bike built and repaired with passion. Just make sure you always price it right and buy with your head!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    Nice one !

10. wombal

wombal Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Derbyshire
    yes very wise words ! thanks Tigcraft

11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jez, I don't know why, but if you look at this Government site, you'll see:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lud

Lud Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Swansea
    nearly finished 2015 America cat d only 389 miles on clock all cosmetic damage just waiting for tank to come back from paint shop just bear in mind parts are expensive have bought bike and repaired only paint not done by myself for around 5k

• Like Like x 3