Would It Have Been So Bad In Biker Gear?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Jul 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/48888846

A 'relieved' Chris Froome says he will be following the Tour de France from bed after returning home to start his recovery from the crash which left him seriously injured.

Froome, 34, broke his neck, femur, elbow, hip and ribs in the accident on 12 June.

If he had proper motorcycle gear, would he have been so seriously injured?? And people say motorcycling is dangerous

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I have a friend with whom I used to ride bicycles. He has completely given that up after numerous crashes and broken bones. Now he rides a Victory Hammer, a Honda Valkyrie, and......a Triumph Rocket! I know a lot more people who have been badly injured riding their bicycles than their motorcycles. It's funny...after I've been riding my motorcycle a lot, I feel really unprotected when I go out on my bicycle. The bicycle helmet seems woefully inadequate. As do the lycra shorts and jersey!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Just saw this post. The lycra are good for the perverts. We love them.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    joe you are not a pervert just an admirer of an art form.

Pervert - "a person whose sexual behaviour is considered strange and unpleasant by most people"

besides that Joe, I have never seen you at any of the pervert meetings and you are not listed in the register.

anybody that has ever witnessed the carnage that goes on at Turn #1 of a bike race knows that bicycle racers are insane, DUH fifty bikes attempting to fit thru a 3 abreast corner and no protective gear

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I could not begin to quote chapter and verse but I recall reading some scientific analysis of accidents that quoted the height and speed dynamics of horses and bicycles that were peculiarly good at landing you on your head.
    We tend to think of bikes highsiding or low siding but the real danger is sudden deceleration - the literal dead stop from other traffic and roadside obstacles. The best helmet in the world cannot mitigate the fatal effects of your brain hitting the inside of your skull at 30mph.

6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Old Phart Phread.
    You can stick up for me any time . Makes me look good. Anyway your meets are a bit far for me to travel and get back in time for work. And of course I agree it's the same here. I ride up to Henley and though and behold there they are taking up the whole lane and will they move horns sounding drivers screaming out windows. I can understand two were the inside rider is novice but they just take the piss. And didn't even know there was a register. But a lady in lycra is stunning. Believe it or not I love to see a lady in a long frock / skirt with their hair down it makes me smile.
    Regards
    Joe.