Featured Work N Stuff

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by jezzasnr, Jul 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Since last November I've been working for a small engineering firm.
    Big change for me, a step back interns of both salary & responsibility, and it's been a fantastic change.
    For the first time in more than 15 years I've managed to go on holiday and not once look at my phone to check emails, take a call because something's gone wrong or be constantly chasing up people for payments etc. I feel so much happier.
    Anyway, the point of the post...
    So yesterday chap from the office pops down to see me.
    "do you fancy leaving early? this package needs to go to the couriers" Not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth, i checked out where it was going and it turns out it's only about 15 miles further down the coast from my place, I had the bike with me, and it was hot & sunny. So in approx 10 mins i had my leathers on and i'm heading south. Lovely ride down and when I get to the clients he's got a Triumph Triple project on the workstand, and a couple more on the shelves.
    And then this morning the bloke i work with has brought his 2nd best BSA in
    It's bloody lovely!! He's got a show winning Goldie at home as well. He does it all himself, other than the plating & painting. Clever bugger.
    and Kenny's just put a big greasy sausage roll on my desk...
    I thought i wanted a 'good' job. the salary. car. expense account. travel. The truth is, i can't remember the last time i was this happy!

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

• Like Like x 17
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yeah Baby

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    You sound like you've got it made Jez, the very best of luck to you.

:):):p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:yum:yum:yum:yum:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::D:D:D:D

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    As said, GOOD LUCK TO YA AND ENJOY, (agree great looking BSA and in pristine condition)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    What a job Ah ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

With you on this mate....after years of busting my nuts I'm now in a small workshop repairing and servicing small plant machinery....money's not the best but I finish 3.30 every day and no weekends :p
    Good bunch of lads....a few of them bikers as well :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  7. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    oh, did i mention that i don't work fridays!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #8 MickEng, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Sounds like you've found your way into a nice little company jezz.
    When you've worked in a more pressured role it makes it all the more sweeter.
    Good on yer, and long may it last.
    The bike is amazing, beautiful pic.

9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Did I not mention?....I don't work twice a week :)....once for 3 days and once for 4 days :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    they do!! but to be fair Kenny's 69yo and frankly, past his best...

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds good - I know the feeling - 4 years working for a ball - busting bunch of tossers (that's YOU Berkeley Homes) and 18 years with a small firm but where everything fell to me to sort out while my so called partner pissed off down the gym or on holiday. :mad:
    Been working for myself now for almost 6 years - best thing I ever did. :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Great story Jezz ! The life you left sounds alot like the life I live ! Sometimes I wonder why I even have a bike purely because my career keeps me so busy ! Good on you mate ! Tell the bloke you work with that his BSA looks damn good !!

13. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    1950 B31. He's a great engineer. All the stuff he does is just "right".

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Nice story and an approach I agree wholeheartedly with. Under pressure to work even more than the 12 hours a day I was averaging, and being pushed towards a management job with heaps more stress that I really didn't want, l went contracting three years ago and have not looked back. Yes the periods between are boring but with a sensible cash buffer in place I don't let it bother me.

Work life balance is crucial for a happier life.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I need to know more about the greasy sausage roll that was plonked on your desk.

I like a good sausage roll!!:yum:yum

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I spent 2 hours with my bike on 30/6/17 and I might get the loose connection done on Sunday 9/7/17, working in between normally 12 hours and paid for 10. Best job Ive ever had. It took me 20 years to get here.:):):):)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

My work used to contain fun elements, the constant streams of red tape, pointless bullshit management projects and work avoidance muppets have squeezed that particular fruit dry... however, I have a job, so that's something and the 28 miles(ish) ride in and home on either A road or country lane help stop Jack being a dull boy!!!

18. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Don't get me wrong, do love what I'm doing now. The job. The commute. It's all been the culmination of lots of changes over the last few years. I've moved jobs, changed the way I do things, met the most amazing lady & married her!! Life is good & I'm savouring every moment. Currently sat, part pissed, in a forest whilst mum & mel cook us some dinner. Another shit weekend...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Hydrophobic Membrane

Hydrophobic Membrane Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #19 Hydrophobic Membrane, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Good on you! When my finale high-pressure contract came to an end, all the years of sadness fell away from me. A weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I felt free and life was good again.

I realise selling The Big Issue isn't everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but this weather, living on the coast, with all the pretty, scantly-clad ladies out in force, it's damn hard to beat ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    I've recently stepped aside from the general madness of offshore oilfield construction, I'm presently sorting out QC issues for a small firm of electrical contractors in the rail sector.

I had a lot of fun in the oilpatch, a lot of stress and made a bob or two but at some point you have to come back to reality

• Like Like x 1