Wobbly Rear End & Sticky Gear Change?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Kieran Hensby, Aug 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kieran Hensby

Kieran Hensby New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    South Yorkshire
    Hi all, I know the title reads like something from the new series of bake off, however, I went for a mooch with my mate around our beloved Yorkshire moors the other day and noticed a few issues;

gear change is very sticky from first to second, sometime going from first to third?

rear wheel felt as though it was wobbling as I was riding? very in nerving when approaching corners?:scream:
    I was thinking bearings?

I'm a beginner biker, my weapon of choice is a sprint st (2008), the bike has only covered 100 miles in the last eighteen months, novice mechanically, but going on a short tour around wales in a few weeks and wanted bike to be at its best.

Any help, advice, guidance appreciated.

Also thinking of changing the tyres, due to long time standing, unused.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Welcome, Kieran.
    First things first - get rid of the postcode in your details. Too easy for reprobates to see where you might be.
    An oil and filter change may help with the gear changes. I went from Halfords own to Shell and will go back to Halfords next time.
    Put the bike on its centre stand, grab the back wheel with both hands opposite each other and see if you can feel any play by pushing and pulling. There should be none - if there is then a bearing is probably shot.
    Change the tyres anyway for peace of mind if you are unsure about them. They may be the cause of you wobbles depending on how worn they are and how they have worn.

3. Kieran Hensby

Kieran Hensby New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    South Yorkshire
    Sounds like a plan, tyres have been on some years due to limited mileage covered, and bike has been sat for months at a time without use.
    Advice much appreciated, will post back with findings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Just remember there are two sets of bearings at the back - the swing arm and the wheel hub. Shaking at 3.15 may show apparent movement in the hub which is in fact the swing arm so check a vertical 12.30 first to see if the hub has any play. None should be evident and would cause an MoT fail anyway.
    Check the tyre age marking front and rear. On the sidewall you will find a 4 figure number in an oval; something like 2310. 23 is the week of manufacture and 10 the year. Tyres go hard with age and flat spot if left partially inflated on a sidestand for long periods. It can take a few miles to warm up and lose. I would change anything over 4 years old, irrespective of wear. The rubber denatures.
    Check clutch free play too at the handlebar. You should have a 1-2mm gap before cable actuation. Clutch drag can make for iffy selection as can the wrong oil. Do you know what is in it? You might even have light corrosion on the steel plates that needs use to clean off and then an oil change.
    I suspect all your reported issues may come down to disuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kieran Hensby

Kieran Hensby New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    South Yorkshire
    Thank you, the bike was MOT`d only three months ago, and I saw the mechanic checking rear for any play, so I trust the mechanic.
    I think the main culprit will be the tyres, I will get some new rubber on and report back.

6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hi, welcome along. New tyres should help improve how the bike feels, just remember to give them a couple of hundred miles to scrub in properly.
    Where abouts in South Yorkshire are you, I can recommend a good little independent bike shop to give the bike a check over if you think it needs it, they also do tyres, mainly maxxis, which are superb and great value, but they'll fit any make.

7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Rear suspension linkage?

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Kieran and welcome in to the Triumph Asylum - you'll soon see why we call it that !!

Re your wobbly back-end (????????) have you checked the tyre pressures ?

According to your Owners Manual - 36 psi at the front; 42 psi at the back.

Incorrect tyre pressures on a bike can make an enormous difference to how the bike feels.

Here's a link to a free download for a service manual for your bike : http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/Triumph Sprint ST 1050 Manual (2005).pdf

• Useful Useful x 1