Vintage Tiger wits end

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by bobcooper, Jun 24, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bobcooper

bobcooper New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    London
    Firstly, hello this is my first post to this forum. I cannot believe that you have to PAY to post to that other well known forum!! Are they serious?

Can anyone shed some light on my 05MY 955i Tiger? It's currently waiting at the gates of disposal because I'm at a loss as to what to do next and I've pretty much had enough of it...

I've replaced the entire charging circuit and components from end to end. The battery, regulator, stator, fuse box and all the wiring has been renewed. The only thing left to change is the rotor and they are a million pounds each.

It starts - it charges at 14.v. When it warms up, that drops a bit but still shows a good charge. But then this gradually drops off to nothing and at idle the volt meter starts to drop 12v/11v/10v..... If I switch off after an hours ride, it isn't going to start again.

What would you do?

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hi and welcome
    If the battery is fully charged and connected to bike, without turning bike on does the battery hold its charge or go flat?

3. bobcooper

bobcooper New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    London
    Stays fully charged with only the clock drawing about 0.1 amp

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome - hope you can get this sorted.

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Can't help thinking reg/rec or even battery! Just because they are new doesn't mean they can't be faulty!

Is there anyone you can swap components with to see how they perform??

If it helps, I replaced the stator and reg/rec on my '02 Daytona CE, and the reg/rec died after very little useage. The replacement is still alive and well as far as I know (sold it last September :().

6. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    bob, try posting on tigertriple.com or facebook Tiger group