Witness, Horrible Incident

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ken walburn, Dec 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Went to the charity shop this morning to get more books, as you do. On my way out of the centre I was witness to a horrible incident. There is a dual carriageway, 40 mph limit, 30 metres before a roundabout is a zebra crossing. A mum & her (I would say 6 year old daughter had Been let across the other carriageway zebra, the outside lane coming the other way had stopped to allow crossing. The f******** idiot white van man on the inside lane didn't. Fortunately he did not hit the girl cyclist with the front of his van, but the front door region. Other than bruising & shock the little one seemed ok. The screams from her mum was spine chilling. Could have been so much worse. Brings home to you how delicate we all are. My message to the van driver. Slow the f*** down, do not under take at zig zag lines & take your medicine. I suspect either dangerous driving or undue care conviction.

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Did the police arrive on site?

3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Oh yes. Ambulance also to check out kiddy. I think any collision on a zebra with a pedestrian has to be attended.

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    and you never overtake the foremost vehicle whilst within the confines of the zig zag lines either inside lane or outside lane. That’s a 3 point £100 offence on it’s own without a collision.

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    People walking out on to crossings before the cars have stopped. just cos its a crossing does not mean the cars have seen you. Wait for the cars to stop and then cross, please. It is an imperfect world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Pedestrians may have right of way but flesh against steel or aluminium doesn’t win.
    I never trust that I’ve been seen and wait for traffic to stop personally.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I would say the kid as well.
    He’s not a pedestrian he’s a cyclist. Cyclists have to obey the rules of the road. Was it one of those crossing that also allow cyclists as well? Don’t they have to dismount from the bike when using them?
    I know I’ve seen cyclists dismount signs on some crossings just can’t remeber which type of crossing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Then it was definately the cyclist in the wrong. He’s not a pedestrian and cycling on a pedestrian crossing is a no no. So multiple infractions committed by him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Its more ZEN than 'who was right' its about getting home in one piece, having a clear conscience, awareness,survival, taking responsibility for your actions.
    In a way blame actually stops you switching on and taking your own responsibility for your own actions,if you follow what I mean.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes they should dismount, they can only ride over a “toucan” crossing

11. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I think rule 191 applies to your situation DD
    You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
    Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28
    The cyclist should not have crossed against the red light and the driver has a duty of care to approach with caution, the green light means proceed with caution.
    6 and two 3’s I reckon. o_O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    As a kid of about twelve I witnessed an accident on a zebra crossing. A girl was crossing and a car failed to slow and hit her. She flew about twenty feet through the air and was badly injured. I always treat crossings with the utmost caution.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Haunting experience